Mike

Default I have to cut down a large straight oak. What should I do with it.

I live near annapolis md. There aren't any saw mills around and it
seems a shame to burn it. What would you do?

Looking for some out of the box ideas!

Mike

mark

"Mike" wrote in message
om...
What does "rive it" mean?

Mike

buck it into about a 5 foot length, then split it lengthwise with the grain,
from one end to another. You've heard of riven oak, or a split rail fence?
The rails are split out of the log lengthwise.

jo4hn

Andy Dingley wrote:
[snip] first rule of froe club is "you do not talk about froe club".

I belong to the Two-in club. We should hold a joint meeting and get a
bit of that back and forth flow going.
gurk,
j4
mark

" You drive the froe down along the log by hitting it with a wooden
implement called a froe club. I'd tell you more about it, but the
first rule of froe club is "you do not talk about froe club".

That's funny! the key to using a froe and riving oak is to make sure you
have equal mass on each side. If you don't it will always run out to the
thinner of the two. I've never tried to rive a board -- I'm always riving
chairbacks and spindles -- so it really only needs to be about an inch and
half square.

Andy Dingley

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 18:15:35 GMT, "mark" wrote:

the key to using a froe and riving oak is to make sure you
have equal mass on each side. If you don't it will always run out to the
thinner of the two.

Thanks - worth remembering.

How green / dry is your timber ? I suspect the stuff I'm using is a
bit too dry.

--
Smert' spamionam
mark

How green / dry is your timber ? I suspect the stuff I'm using is a
bit too dry.

I use green when I can get it -- it steams quicker since there's already a
lot of moisture in the wood. Dry works too, but you need the grain to be
almost perfectly straight to get a straight split -- at least in my
experience.

mark

I would say that would depend on what you mean by "around".

the saw mills around here won't take residential trees. There's too much
chance of nails and bullets and what not in them that can be a danger to the
guys at the mill.

J T

Sat, Oct 16, 2004, 4:41pm (EDT-3) tells us:
there is no cabal...

Proof.
http://www.cabal.org/

JOAT
Flush the Johns.
- seen on a bumper sticker

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 18:15:09 GMT, jo4hn wrote:

Andy Dingley wrote:
[snip] first rule of froe club is "you do not talk about froe club".

I belong to the Two-in club. We should hold a joint meeting and get a
bit of that back and forth flow going.
gurk,
j4

if you want to have a joint meeting, you'll have to hold it in Canada.
that sort of thing is illegal in the united states.

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Mike wrote:
I live near annapolis md. There aren't any saw mills around and it
seems a shame to burn it. What would you do?

Looking for some out of the box ideas!

Build a caber, and start your own "Highland Games" ?