On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 18:30:42 +0100, Andy Dingley
wrote:

On 16 Oct 2004 09:47:48 -0700, (Mike) wrote:

What does "rive it" mean?

Split it by hand into radial, tapered boards. You do it with a tool
called a froe - a long flat blade with a slightly sharp edge, although
it's used more as a prybar than as a cutting tool.

Several logs later, I'm still trying to learn to rive a usable board.
OTOH, I now have firewood for the whole winter.

You drive the froe down along the log by hitting it with a wooden
implement called a froe club. I'd tell you more about it, but the
first rule of froe club is "you do not talk about froe club".

there is no cabal...