BlueDude

Default Where can I buy Metric Sizes Dowel Rod?

Can some tell me where I could buy metric dimensions dowel rod and
Thanks

BlueDude

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 20:18:53 -0400, Tom Watson
wrote:

Thank you for replying, this what I'm thinking:

I need a few lengths 8mm dowel rods and about 14 inches long.
8mm is 0.3149", I could not use 5/16" (0.3125") dowel rods. If I use
3/8" (0.375") it would be inpossible to force it into 0.3149" hole and
get a good smooth finished.

How about reduce it twice using two two jigs (or steel) reducing it
1/32" at each go?

Thank you again.

It might be easier to acquire the nearest (larger) size locally and
run them through a self made dowel pop.

Drill out a piece of found steel with a metric drill bit of the
appropriate diameter. Follow with a larger bit to create a
countersink shape, allowing the larger bit to just touch the downside
opening created by the original bit, without increasing the original
bore's diameter.

Hammer the slightly oversized stock through.

You can actually dispense with the acquisition of the original dowel
stock and simply rip squared pieces out on the saw, to a width
slightly greater than the desired diameter.

Hammer through your dowel pop and you are done.

Regards,
Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1

George

Puzzled. Why metric dowel versus SAE bit if you're making something
yourself?

"BlueDude" wrote in message

Can some tell me where I could buy metric dimensions dowel rod and
Thanks

BlueDude

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 08:10:05 -0400, "George" george@least wrote:

Customer's project calls for metric dimension, please don't ask me
what am I making :-).

Do you know where I could buy metric sizes dowel rod or another
suggestions? I have look into Lee Valley's dowel maker and they are
SAE sizes and not adjustable.

Puzzled. Why metric dowel versus SAE bit if you're making something
yourself?

Edwin Pawlowski

"BlueDude" wrote in message

Customers are King, they provide bread and butter on the table, unless
of course you prefer to go hungry :-).

Yes they are. Sometimes the King Customer writes silly specs though. Or
they are just not informed of certain limitations or material availability.

The supplier has an obligation to the customer to provide a product, but
also expertise. I've seen many a design that looked good on paper, but with
a little change, the cost cold be cut 10% or 50% because of tooling
consideration, machine utilization, material savings, etc.

You customer may be the best Widget maker in the world, but if he wants
some Burfls, and knows little of them, he may spec the wrong sizes. Instance
recently. Customer sent us a drawing of a part he wanted molded. Two parts
could be made at the same time and the final price was 90˘ each. We
suggested he cut the size by 1/2" and the part could be made for 60˘ each.
Thirty cents is not a lot of money, but when you buy 50,000 of them at a
time, it sure its. Reducing the parts size allows us to make 4 in the same
time, same labor, about the same utilities.

It is worth a phone call to find out if he a really needs the metric size.
As mentioned about the differences in some being so slight, it may just be a
matter of asking for a larger +/- in the specs.

Robert Galloway

Vy are der so manny more orses asses den der are orses?

rhg

Prometheus wrote:

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 01:40:28 GMT, (BlueDude)
wrote:

Can some tell me where I could buy metric dimensions dowel rod and

Europe?

Tom Watson

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 21:37:43 +0100, LRod
wrote:

What's with people referring to dowels as dowel rods?

They've always been sold as dowel rods or dowel pins, the difference
being the length, with the pins usually coming in shorter, ready to
use lengths and the rod coming in longer lengths, usually needing to
be cut before use.

Regards,
Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
BlueDude

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 14:35:37 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

Thank you for the website below.

Best I could come up with is:
http://www.lie-nielsen.com/tool.html?id=DP

Perhaps some of the imported dowels that don't fit well are truly metric?