Jeff Wisnia

Default Socket Drive Sizes - Metric yet?

I put this question at the bottom of an overly long reply on the "Best
Tools" thread, so It probably didn't get read by too many folks, so I'll
ask it again he

Is the "international standard" for socket wrench square drive sizes
still only the english 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 3/4" etc., or have they started
manufacturing metric sockets with metric sized drives and (G-d forbid)
maybe even inch size sockets with metric sized drives?

Just wondering...

Jeff

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Wayne Cook

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 10:03:59 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

I put this question at the bottom of an overly long reply on the "Best
Tools" thread, so It probably didn't get read by too many folks, so I'll
ask it again he

Is the "international standard" for socket wrench square drive sizes
still only the english 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 3/4" etc., or have they started
manufacturing metric sockets with metric sized drives and (G-d forbid)
maybe even inch size sockets with metric sized drives?

Just wondering...

Well you left out the 5/16" and 5/8" drives from the past. :-)

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook
Jim Brown

Greetings:

Every socket drive that I have seen sold in Europe is based on inch system.
This includes major tool dealers such as Hahn & Kolb, etc.

Regards, Jim Brown (Germany)

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
I put this question at the bottom of an overly long reply on the "Best
Tools" thread, so It probably didn't get read by too many folks, so I'll
ask it again he

Is the "international standard" for socket wrench square drive sizes
still only the english 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 3/4" etc., or have they started
manufacturing metric sockets with metric sized drives and (G-d forbid)
maybe even inch size sockets with metric sized drives?

Just wondering...

Jeff

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

Pete Logghe

Jeff Wisnia wrote in message ...
I put this question at the bottom of an overly long reply on the "Best
Tools" thread, so It probably didn't get read by too many folks, so I'll
ask it again he

Is the "international standard" for socket wrench square drive sizes
still only the english 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 3/4" etc., or have they started
manufacturing metric sockets with metric sized drives and (G-d forbid)
maybe even inch size sockets with metric sized drives?

Just wondering...

Jeff

What about tire sizes?
Even imported cars use 14" 15" tires etc.
Don't they? ? Enquiring minds...
And gas pipe threads are based on English pipe thread sizes.
1/4-18, 1/8-27, etc. Even in the Metric countries.

Any other examples?

(My point is, some things seem to stay english, even in the
metric world. )

Pete
Bruce L. Bergman

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 13:05:48 GMT, Anthony
wrote:
Tove Momerathsson wrote in
:

Yeah, they've got metric: 6.35 mm, 9.52 mm, 12.70 mm and 19.05 mm are
the usual square drive sizes in Europe and Asia.

If you do your math...
6.35 = 1/4"
9.52 = 3/8"
12.7 = 1/2"
19.05 = 3/4"
Dead on...

Gee, you noticed that too! Coincidence? Nahhhh.... ;-)

-- Bruce --
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545

Andy Asberry

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 23:39:40 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

jim rozen wrote:

In article , Eric R Snow
says...

And sparkplugs have been metric for years. Blew me away when I
measured the threads on an antique sparkplug made in America for
domestic use and found out they were metric.

IIRC at one time sparkplugs were also NPT.

Jim

You remember right Jim, and some of them also disassembled for cleaning!

Here's one like that I picked up at an antique shop in Minnesota a few
years ago. A copper gasket seals the porcelain to the body.

Dual ground electrodes too!

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/jeff/plug.jpg

Jeff

Before someone jumps on me, the copper gasket seals to the metal band
fused to the porcelain, OK?

Jeff

What is something like that worth? I think I have one in a box out in
the shop. I didn't realize it came apart.
Jeff Wisnia

wrote:

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

jim rozen wrote:

[...]

I bought two from a roadside antique/junque shop. IIRC I think I paid
about $12 for the pair. They were pretty well rusted and the hexes
somwhat rounded off. I kept one and gave the other to an rcm poster
there in Minnesota.

I'm sure a virgin one in its original box would have a higher value to a
collector, and as I've discovered since the advent of the internet and
eBay, there are collectors of EVERYTHING. You could always list it on
eBay with a high enough reserve to make you happy if it sold.

Jeff

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"