Doug Miller

In article , (BlueDude) wrote:
On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 08:10:05 -0400, "George" george@least wrote:

Customer's project calls for metric dimension, please don't ask me
what am I making :-).

8mm is all of twenty-five ten-thousandths of an inch larger than 5/16".
*Nobody* will be able to tell the difference just by looking. Do you *really*
think your customer is going to put a caliper on the dowels to check?

More things to consider:

1) Depending on where they were sourced from, nominal 5/16" dowels may be
actual 8mm anyway -- have *you* put a caliper on the dowels available from
your suppliers to see how big they really are?

2) In my experience, the tolerances used in the manufacture of dowels are
loose enough that there will easily be several thousandths variation in
diameter from rod to rod -- and even on the *same* rod, depending on whether
you measure along, or across, the grain.

3) You could point out these facts to the customer, and ask if 5/16" is an
acceptable substitute.

--
Regards,