Todd

Default Chainsaw attachment for slabbing lumber

I have several butternut logs in my back yard ( have been there a few
seasons so are nice and dry ) and I want to make myself an attachment
for my chainsaw to slab them into lumber.

Does anyone have any pictures/drawings/suggestions on how to make
such an attachment ? The saw I will be using is a STIHL 038 ( I
believe it's a 74cc motor ) and will be attaching a 30" bar ( the bar
is a little overkill for the saw, but I'll be losing some of it's
length because of the attachment. Am hoping for a 24" cutting area )
The type of attachment I plan on building is like the one on this web
site... ( I wish they would take close up pictures, it's hard to see
detail from 10'away )

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/tresl39.html

I know it would be more efficient to take the logs to a mill, but my
time is free and my chainsaw spends most of it's life sitting in the
case, so I figured I would build this just for the hell of it. Plus I
like the idea of being able to take a fallen tree in the middle of a
bush and make it into usable lumber without busting my back trying to
haul it out.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom

Todd
Charlie Self

Todd asks:

[...]

You should have slabbed those trees long ago. They may be dry--probably
not--but are probably checked and cracked badly.

The mill looks as if it will work fine, but I don't know of anyplace offering
more detailed info.

Many years ago, I wrote a couple of books involving chainsaws and their use.
Along the way, I got my hands on, IIRC, an Alaskan chainsaw mill. A friend and
I slabbed a couple of trees with that mill. It's interesting, if you're young
enough and in shape, andyou can make some usable lumber. You might even, as the
article says, save a few hundred bucks, but you'd better have a backwoods home
for sure, as many suburban areas refuse to allow green or rough wood in
building construction. But you'll be aiming for woodworking lumber, so that's
no problem.

You won't bust your butt getting the logs out, but you will bust your butt
getting them ready to move out easily.

Good luck.

Charlie Self
"Politics, n. Strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles."
Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Richard Knight

Todd.
Here are 2 different ones from Lee Valley

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...0126&category=
1,41131,41139

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...0127&category=
1,41131,41139

Cheers Richard

"Todd" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Mark

I have an older logosol mill (http://www.logosolusa.com) and like it
alot. I use a Sthil 066 as power for my mill. As stated elsewhere do
use ripping chain. I use the Pico (narrow curf) chain re-ground to 10
degrees that logosaw sells. Ripping takes far more power to do than
cross cutting, a big saw is needed.

They also do make a jig that does what you want called the
"Timberjig", search their site and you will find it. They have some
video of it in use etc on line.

I milled quite a bit of old Black Walnut recently that a friend gave
me. The logs had been on the ground for years, looked like hell,
externally very baddly rotted, but it was only the sap wood effected.
The core of the logs yielded some great stock, so don't be discouraged
by it just being dry.

I have no economic interest in the Co, I just like my mill!

Toronto area lumber? Pick Woodworking 4 November 20th 03 02:29 PM
Chainsaw for cutting your own lumber Edwin Pawlowski Woodworking 3 November 19th 03 01:50 AM