Charlie Self

Todd asks:

Does anyone have any pictures/drawings/suggestions on how to make
such an attachment ? The saw I will be using is a STIHL 038 ( I
believe it's a 74cc motor ) and will be attaching a 30" bar ( the bar
is a little overkill for the saw, but I'll be losing some of it's
length because of the attachment. Am hoping for a 24" cutting area )
The type of attachment I plan on building is like the one on this web
site... ( I wish they would take close up pictures, it's hard to see
detail from 10'away )

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/tresl39.html

I know it would be more efficient to take the logs to a mill, but my
time is free and my chainsaw spends most of it's life sitting in the
case, so I figured I would build this just for the hell of it. Plus I
like the idea of being able to take a fallen tree in the middle of a
bush and make it into usable lumber without busting my back trying to
haul it out.

You should have slabbed those trees long ago. They may be dry--probably
not--but are probably checked and cracked badly.

The mill looks as if it will work fine, but I don't know of anyplace offering
more detailed info.

Many years ago, I wrote a couple of books involving chainsaws and their use.
Along the way, I got my hands on, IIRC, an Alaskan chainsaw mill. A friend and
I slabbed a couple of trees with that mill. It's interesting, if you're young
enough and in shape, andyou can make some usable lumber. You might even, as the
article says, save a few hundred bucks, but you'd better have a backwoods home
for sure, as many suburban areas refuse to allow green or rough wood in
building construction. But you'll be aiming for woodworking lumber, so that's
no problem.

You won't bust your butt getting the logs out, but you will bust your butt
getting them ready to move out easily.

Good luck.

Charlie Self
"Politics, n. Strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles."
Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary