Greg G.

Default Bandsaw Blades for milling green timber

Just wondering what experienced bandsaw users are using these days for
milling green (recently felled) wood.

I have a Highland Hardware Woodslicer, and although it does a fine job
slicing veneers and dry wood, it doesn't seen to care for green, wet
Cherry wood much.

14" Delta w/ riser kit - urethane tires, Itura high tension spring.
10" green logs cut in half before milling on BS.

Thanks,

Greg G.
Greg G.

Greg G. said:

Just wondering what experienced bandsaw users are using these days for
milling green (recently felled) wood.

I have a Highland Hardware Woodslicer, and although it does a fine job
slicing veneers and dry wood, it doesn't seen to care for green, wet
Cherry wood much.

14" Delta w/ riser kit - urethane tires, Itura high tension spring.
10" green logs cut in half before milling on BS.

FYI, I am looking at the Suffolk Timberwolf

1/2" x 3 TPI, .032 thick, 6.5d Hook, Alternate Set blade.

Thanks,

Greg G.
Nova

Greg, G. wrote:

Just wondering what experienced bandsaw users are using these days for
milling green (recently felled) wood.

I have a Highland Hardware Woodslicer, and although it does a fine job
slicing veneers and dry wood, it doesn't seen to care for green, wet
Cherry wood much.

The "Woodslicer" has a minimal set on the teeth which is why it gives a
smooth cut. For green lumber a blade with a more pronounced set would
help avoid binding. I'd suggest giving Suffolk Machinery (Timberwolf
blades) a call, explain what you want to cut and see what they recommend.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Greg G.

Nova said:

Greg, G. wrote:

Just wondering what experienced bandsaw users are using these days for
milling green (recently felled) wood.

I have a Highland Hardware Woodslicer, and although it does a fine job
slicing veneers and dry wood, it doesn't seen to care for green, wet
Cherry wood much.

The "Woodslicer" has a minimal set on the teeth which is why it gives a
smooth cut. For green lumber a blade with a more pronounced set would
help avoid binding. I'd suggest giving Suffolk Machinery (Timberwolf
blades) a call, explain what you want to cut and see what they recommend.

Yea, I noticed that about the Woodslicer - but it was the widest blade
I had on hand. I made it into about 3 " of the log before I backed
out and came here to find another. The only other blades I have are
1/8" and 1/4" detail blades - and I wasn't about to try those.
Another thing about the WS is that it is only .022" thick.
Pretty thin for any green timber work.

The first place I went was Suffolk.
Looked at the 1/2 x 3AS .032 6.5 Alternate Set H & S 6-12 (Green)

I just wish someone around here stocked these blades.
I live in a huge Metro area, but I have to mail order everything!

Unless it's some junk at Wal-Mart, Target, or the BORGs. All these
stores carry the same freakin crap in different colored boxes...

Greg G.
Nova

Greg, G. wrote:

Yea, I noticed that about the Woodslicer - but it was the widest blade
I had on hand. I made it into about 3 " of the log before I backed
out and came here to find another. The only other blades I have are
1/8" and 1/4" detail blades - and I wasn't about to try those.
Another thing about the WS is that it is only .022" thick.
Pretty thin for any green timber work.

On a 14" Delta I don't think I'd try a blade wider than 1/2". The friction on
the blade with green wood will be a consideration with the 14" Delta's limited
HP.

The first place I went was Suffolk.
Looked at the 1/2 x 3AS .032 6.5 Alternate Set H & S 6-12 (Green)

I'd give Suffolk a call. Their staff is very knowledgeable and helpful when
it comes to matching a blade to a given task.

I just wish someone around here stocked these blades.
I live in a huge Metro area, but I have to mail order everything!

Is there a Rockler store in your area? Rockler used to carry the Timberwolf
blades but stopped selling them due to poor sales. They now carry the Olson
"All Pro" blades. Their sales person admitted the Olson blades are not as
good as the "Timberwolf" blades but at about half the price they sold better.
They're not bad blades but I prefer the Suffolk blades.

Unless it's some junk at Wal-Mart, Target, or the BORGs. All these
stores carry the same freakin crap in different colored boxes...

I know what you mean. IT SURE WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE A LEE VALLEY TOOL OUTLET
IN BUFFALO, NY! ( Hoping Rob Lee will consider a new store).

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
(Remove "SPAM" from email address to reply)

Norman D. Crow

"Nova" wrote in message
I know what you mean. IT SURE WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE A LEE VALLEY TOOL

OUTLET
IN BUFFALO, NY! ( Hoping Rob Lee will consider a new store).

Yer tryin' to get me in trouble, Jack! I wear out the roads & Thruway
between Jamestown & Buffalo enough already!

--
Nahmie

Luigi Zanasi

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 22:32:28 -0400, Nova
whined:

I know what you mean. IT SURE WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE A LEE VALLEY TOOL OUTLET
IN BUFFALO, NY! ( Hoping Rob Lee will consider a new store).

Quitcherwhinin! You're less than hour away from Burlington, ON. If
Robin want to serve new areas, how about Whitehorse.

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html
mel

"I live in a huge Metro area, but I have to mail order everything!"

Greg,

Check in your area for a sharpening service. Chances are they sell and make
up bandsaw blades with various selections of widths and tooth
configurations. These are usually a fraction of the price of someone's
premade stock blades. Chances are you can call ahead and pick up in less
than a couple of hours.

Example: A Timberwolf 3/8"x105 6tpi blade cost around $35 mail ordered.
Pro- lasts longer, claims to handle better Con- only 1 tooth
configuration for that width, cost 2-3 times as much and if it breaks you
need to have purchased a back up or wait.

A blade made up from sharpening service same size $13-$15 ($25 for a quality
bimetal). Pro- numerous tooth configurations available in each width.
Costs about 33% of what a Timberwolf costs. Usually they will have a couple
of grades to choose from. Limited amount of waiting. Expert advice for
various applications. You've located someone who can help you with several
needs. Con- might not last as long but you can buy 2-3 blades for the
price of 1 timberwolf.

Nova

Luigi Zanasi wrote:

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 22:32:28 -0400, Nova
whined:

I know what you mean. IT SURE WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE A LEE VALLEY TOOL OUTLET
IN BUFFALO, NY! ( Hoping Rob Lee will consider a new store).

Quitcherwhinin! You're less than hour away from Burlington, ON. If
Robin want to serve new areas, how about Whitehorse.

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html

Yeah, and hour's drive time each way and now days about three hours total to clear
customs at the border (and the US Customs even has my name on file for
authorization due to my job's requirements).

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
(Remove "SPAM" from email address to reply)

Nova

mel wrote:

Example: A Timberwolf 3/8"x105 6tpi blade cost around $35 mail ordered.
Pro- lasts longer, claims to handle better Con- only 1 tooth
configuration for that width, cost 2-3 times as much and if it breaks you
need to have purchased a back up or wait.

The "Timberwofl" blades come in an assortment of different tooth configurations
for each width. See:

http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/sili...l_slection.asp

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
(Remove "SPAM" from email address to reply)

Eric Anderson

Suffolk Machinery (800-234-7297) recommeded a 1/2 X 3AS .032 thk blade
for green sawing to me at the Atlanta IWF show. I bought one along
with 3 other blades on a 4 for 3 sale they were having. I have some
ash trees that have to come down.

Greg G. wrote in message . ..
Greg G. said:

Just wondering what experienced bandsaw users are using these days for
milling green (recently felled) wood.

I have a Highland Hardware Woodslicer, and although it does a fine job
slicing veneers and dry wood, it doesn't seen to care for green, wet
Cherry wood much.

14" Delta w/ riser kit - urethane tires, Itura high tension spring.
10" green logs cut in half before milling on BS.

FYI, I am looking at the Suffolk Timberwolf

1/2" x 3 TPI, .032 thick, 6.5d Hook, Alternate Set blade.

Thanks,

Greg G.

Greg G.

Eric Anderson said:

Suffolk Machinery (800-234-7297) recommeded a 1/2 X 3AS .032 thk blade
for green sawing to me at the Atlanta IWF show. I bought one along
with 3 other blades on a 4 for 3 sale they were having. I have some
ash trees that have to come down.

Thanks for the confirmation - that's the blade I had decided on.
They are still running the 4/3 special on their website, incidentally.
I prefer to buy locally, and possibly Wm. J. Redmond & Sons may carry
something, but I haven't checked with them yet. Rockler and Highland
Harware doesn't carry anything appropriate for "Green" wood. I
haven't checked with Woodcraft yet, but they are quite a drive...

I missed the Atlanta IWF show, I wasn't able to convince SWMBO to
go/let me go... ;-) (She's no fool.)

Greg

Greg G. said:

Just wondering what experienced bandsaw users are using these days for
milling green (recently felled) wood.

I have a Highland Hardware Woodslicer, and although it does a fine job
slicing veneers and dry wood, it doesn't seen to care for green, wet
Cherry wood much.

14" Delta w/ riser kit - urethane tires, Itura high tension spring.
10" green logs cut in half before milling on BS.

FYI, I am looking at the Suffolk Timberwolf

1/2" x 3 TPI, .032 thick, 6.5d Hook, Alternate Set blade.

Thanks,

Greg G.

Greg G.
Luigi Zanasi

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 14:21:39 -0400, Nova
scribbled:

Luigi Zanasi wrote:

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 22:32:28 -0400, Nova
whined:

I know what you mean. IT SURE WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE A LEE VALLEY TOOL OUTLET
IN BUFFALO, NY! ( Hoping Rob Lee will consider a new store).

Quitcherwhinin! You're less than hour away from Burlington, ON. If
Robin want to serve new areas, how about Whitehorse.

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html

Yeah, and hour's drive time each way and now days about three hours total to clear
customs at the border (and the US Customs even has my name on file for
authorization due to my job's requirements).

Sheesh, only five hours. A nice little Saturday drive, plus you could
extend it by going through Niagara Falls & sampling all the vino along
the way (bring a DD).

I've got a 1,200 mile (2,000km) drive each way to get to the nearest
store in Edmonton. I HAVE THE RIGHT TO WHINE!!! ;-)

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html
Jim Behning

Can't you get stuff from Keen Edge on Edgewood Ave? I thought we used
to get blades from them when I worked downtown. I think they are still
on Edgewood. Possibley better prices than Redmond.

Greg G. said:

Just wondering what experienced bandsaw users are using these days for
milling green (recently felled) wood.

I have a Highland Hardware Woodslicer, and although it does a fine job
slicing veneers and dry wood, it doesn't seen to care for green, wet
Cherry wood much.

14" Delta w/ riser kit - urethane tires, Itura high tension spring.
10" green logs cut in half before milling on BS.

FYI, I am looking at the Suffolk Timberwolf

1/2" x 3 TPI, .032 thick, 6.5d Hook, Alternate Set blade.

Thanks,

Greg G.

Greg G.

Greg G.

Jim Behning said:

Can't you get stuff from Keen Edge on Edgewood Ave? I thought we used
to get blades from them when I worked downtown. I think they are still
on Edgewood. Possibley better prices than Redmond.

Haven't thought of them in ages. I'm not even sure they are still in
business.

Hmmm - that's three WWs near Atlanta...

Greg G.

mel

I stand corrected. I am fortunate enough to have both a Rockler and
woodcraft stores nearby and they only carry a limited variety apparently. My
mistake.