TP

Default sharpening bandsaw blades?

Hi,
I'm new to bandsaw. I have a 14'' Delta. I find the blade gets dull very
fast. I only cut wood, amateur use. Can the blade be sharpened once it
gets dull?

TP

Andy Dingley

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 16:49:36 -0500, "TP" wrote:

I'm new to bandsaw.

Get Mark Duginske's "Bandsaw Handbook"

I have a 14'' Delta. I find the blade gets dull very
fast.

Check the guide setup. You might be scrubbing the set off the teeth.

Can the blade be sharpened once it gets dull?

No. Most can't (induction hardened teeth). Some can, especially on
the wide blades for big saws, but it's not cheap.
--
Smert' spamionam
Ronald Murray

Hello
Your blades should last for ever , if you're just cutting wood. I cut
aluminum & sometimes brass , & they last a long time.
Make sure the teeth are pointing down. And the guides are not too far
forward dulling your blades. Good luck.
ron

Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
Andy Dingley wrote:

Can the blade be sharpened once it gets dull?

No. Most can't (induction hardened teeth). Some can, especially on
the wide blades for big saws, but it's not cheap.

I don't know if the Timberwolf blades have induction hardened teeth, but
I sharpen mine with a Dremel and chainsaw stone and it seems to do very
nicely.

http://www.flybynightcoppercompany.com
http://www.easystreet.com/~onlnlowe/index.html
George

Nope, you also have to protect them from corrosion, not only for the sake of
the cutting edges, but also because minor cracks in the band formed by
flexing are accelerated by corrosion.

"Ronald Murray" wrote in message
Hello
Your blades should last for ever , if you're just cutting wood.

Doug Miller

In article , "Ronald Murray" wrote:
Hello
Your blades should last for ever , if you're just cutting wood.

Depends a *lot* on the wood you're cutting. Blades won't last long, if you cut
a lot of hard maple or purpleheart.

--
Regards,

For a copy of my TrollFilter for NewsProxy/Nfilter,
send email to autoresponder at filterinfo-at-milmac-dot-com

Mark Wells

When I first got my bandsaw, I was surprised at how short the life of
the blade is. I don't have a table saw, so the band saw is the main
saw in my shop, so it gets a lot of use.

Keep in mind that any of the following can ruin the blade instantly:
* Overheating the blade, especially when resawing. If you see or
smell smoke, then there is a good chance you toasted the blade.
* Having the blade come off the wheels and run against the guard.
* Using standard steel blocks (as opposed to cool blocks) and having
the teeth hit the blocks.

I would say heat is the #1 killer.

I switched to using bi-metal blades. They cost about 3x as much as
carbon steel blades, but are supposed to last 10x. I don't know
exactly how long they last because I haven't worn one out yet, but
they last a really, really long time compared to carbon steel blades.
You can get Lenox bi-metal blades from carbide.com.

Mark

"TP" wrote in message ...
Hi,
I'm new to bandsaw. I have a 14'' Delta. I find the blade gets dull very
fast. I only cut wood, amateur use. Can the blade be sharpened once it
gets dull?

TP

mttt

"Ronald Murray" wrote in message

Your blades should last for ever ,

Zowie - wonder if the manufacturer's remembered to add that little detail in
the Business Plan when they went up for financing?

Kind'a wish the 'Dorking Companies had followed Gillette's lead.

mike

"TP" wrote in message ...
Hi,
I'm new to bandsaw. I have a 14'' Delta. I find the blade gets dull very
fast. I only cut wood, amateur use. Can the blade be sharpened once it
gets dull?

TP

Yes they can be sharpened, a previous poster does it the same way as I
do with a dremel and chain saw grindstone. I only do the blades that
have 6 teeth or less, finer blades are harder to grind and too many
teeth too sharpen. First I'm wondering why your blades are dulling
quickly. Have you tried a different manufactuer of bandsaw blades?
Other posts are informative as too why your blades may dull early. If
you are assured that your blade is installed correctly and the saw is
tuned up you may be using the wrong blade for the job. Sometimes I
have to change bandsaw blades several times a day to match the type of
sawing I do. If you are resawing or thick material you need to put a
blade on with few teeth, more width, skip tooth variety.I generally
resaw with a 3/4" 3 tooth blade. Your saw if I am not mistaken takes
up to 1/2" wide blades, maybe 3/4" but 1/2" is probably best on a 14"
saw.
mike