tfk

Default Gluing up a table top

I have made a few table tops using butt joints mainly. I usually only
glue up 2 boards at a time so if I need a total of 4 boards this takes
3 gluing operations. Does anyone have an opinion on whether or not a
biscuit joiner allows you to keep the boards stable and their tops
level during a glue up. My goal is to increase the number of boards I
can glue at once and reduce the time it takes to level the seams out.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Swingman

"tfk" wrote in message
I have made a few table tops using butt joints mainly. I usually only
glue up 2 boards at a time so if I need a total of 4 boards this takes
3 gluing operations. Does anyone have an opinion on whether or not a
biscuit joiner allows you to keep the boards stable and their tops
level during a glue up. My goal is to increase the number of boards I
can glue at once and reduce the time it takes to level the seams out.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I was never much of an advocate of biscuit joinery, but after using them to
do exactly what you are proposing with table top glue-ups, I became a big
fan, to the point that I will rarely do a table top glue-up without using
biscuits.

The big attraction for me are strictly the "alignment" benefits of
biscuits, particularly in the vertical plane ("tops level", as you say).

They aren't ever perfect, but more perfect than without, IME.

That said, I often make the entire glue-up in one fell swoop using biscuits,
then rip that into sections that will run through my 13" planer, then a
final glue up with biscuits again, with fewer (most of the time just one or
two) glue joints to scrape and level.

If you're so inclined, you can see a rather large table top in the throes of
the glue-up process on page 5 of my projects journal below (Mission style
Trestle Table).

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

Al Spohn

In article , says...
"tfk" wrote in message
[...]

Wow, nice site - thanks for putting all that stuff together. Good tip
on the miter saw workstation - I was looking for one of those.

- Al

Al Spohn

In article , tfk3160
@comcast.net says...
I have made a few table tops using butt joints mainly. I usually only
glue up 2 boards at a time so if I need a total of 4 boards this takes
3 gluing operations. Does anyone have an opinion on whether or not a
biscuit joiner allows you to keep the boards stable and their tops
level during a glue up. My goal is to increase the number of boards I
can glue at once and reduce the time it takes to level the seams out.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

As a relative beginner (and gadget freak,) I've only used a biscuit
jointer (haven't done butt joints,) and it seems to work as advertised
in the way you describe. However, I found that it was not idiot-proof,
I.e., I had to be very careful aligning my cuts... wasted a bit of wood
initially with the "plug and play" attitude. I'm sure more useful
feedback is impending, though, from more veterans of both butt joints
and biscuit joinery. I have the Dewalt jointer, for what it's worth.

- Al
George

Showing your age, Luigi? Me too.

I learned to prepare stock carefully with jointer and planer so that only
minor adjustments were necessary after first snugging the clamps. With a
glueup I can handle with my small stock of Besseys, even the cauls are
unnecessary. I still check with winding sticks, but it's smiles, not frowns
they produce now.

Biscuits are great items for plywood joinery and such, but not really
required for simple glueups.

"Luigi Zanasi" wrote in message
IME, gluing up a bunch of board with biscuits allows some movement up
& down and won't necessarily keep it flat (i.e. the glue-up can be
cupped or twisted). I also have had some differences in the height of
the boards. Maybe it's the biscuits or the biscuit joiner.

In any case, a better solution, IMHO, is to clamp cauls perpendicular
to the glue lines, keeping everything nice & flat.

Swingman

"George" wrote in message
Showing your age, Luigi? Me too.

Yep ... a couple of things that "age" is infamous for is being set in your
ways, and unwilling to try new techniques. In this case I was glad to
overcome the tendency.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

George

Except, of course, I _have_ used the "new" technique, as well as its
predecessors, splines, dowels and tenons for breadboard ends. Just found
them unnecessary if the boards are properly prepared.

Would that be a new technique for you?

"Swingman" wrote in message
"George" wrote in message
Showing your age, Luigi? Me too.

Yep ... a couple of things that "age" is infamous for is being set in your
ways, and unwilling to try new techniques. In this case I was glad to
overcome the tendency.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

Swingman

"George" wrote in message
Except, of course, I _have_ used the "new" technique, as well as its
predecessors, splines, dowels and tenons for breadboard ends. Just found
them unnecessary if the boards are properly prepared.

Would that be a new technique for you?

Not if you can read.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

GerryG

For simple glue ups, I'll agree. A little longer, and cauls can help. But as
the boards get even longer, even the best preparation won't be enough. That's
where biscuits come into their own.
GerryG

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 15:44:55 -0400, "George" george@least wrote:

Showing your age, Luigi? Me too.

I learned to prepare stock carefully with jointer and planer so that only
minor adjustments were necessary after first snugging the clamps. With a
glueup I can handle with my small stock of Besseys, even the cauls are
unnecessary. I still check with winding sticks, but it's smiles, not frowns
they produce now.

Biscuits are great items for plywood joinery and such, but not really
required for simple glueups.

"Luigi Zanasi" wrote in message
.. .
IME, gluing up a bunch of board with biscuits allows some movement up
& down and won't necessarily keep it flat (i.e. the glue-up can be
cupped or twisted). I also have had some differences in the height of
the boards. Maybe it's the biscuits or the biscuit joiner.

In any case, a better solution, IMHO, is to clamp cauls perpendicular
to the glue lines, keeping everything nice & flat.

Lawrence Wasserman

In article ,
tfk wrote:
I have made a few table tops using butt joints mainly. I usually only
glue up 2 boards at a time so if I need a total of 4 boards this takes
3 gluing operations. Does anyone have an opinion on whether or not a
biscuit joiner allows you to keep the boards stable and their tops
level during a glue up. My goal is to increase the number of boards I
can glue at once and reduce the time it takes to level the seams out.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I use my biscuit joiner for this purpose and it works well. I Still
have to sand or plane a little but not much, and it does make lining
the boards up much easier.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

RonB

Yep - Biscuits help this problem a lot. Be careful in cutting you slots and
select best fitting biscuits. Make sure everthing, including biscuits fit
well before gluing.

RonB

Yep - Biscuits help this problem a lot. Be careful in cutting you slots and
select best fitting biscuits. Make sure everthing, including biscuits fit
well before gluing.

Preston Andreas

I don't use biscuit joints for a table top unless it is long (~8'). I try
to glue up slightly less than 15" wide, leaving the thickness 1/16" over. I
then run through my 15" planer to size, then glue up the rremaining panels
to the final width. Unless I have really stable wood, such as 1/4 sawn, I
only glue up 6" or less widths.

Preston

"tfk" wrote in message
om...
I have made a few table tops using butt joints mainly. I usually only
glue up 2 boards at a time so if I need a total of 4 boards this takes
3 gluing operations. Does anyone have an opinion on whether or not a
biscuit joiner allows you to keep the boards stable and their tops
level during a glue up. My goal is to increase the number of boards I
can glue at once and reduce the time it takes to level the seams out.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Vince Heuring

"tfk" wrote in message
om...
I have made a few table tops using butt joints mainly. I usually only
glue up 2 boards at a time so if I need a total of 4 boards this takes
3 gluing operations. Does anyone have an opinion on whether or not a
biscuit joiner allows you to keep the boards stable and their tops
level during a glue up. My goal is to increase the number of boards I
can glue at once and reduce the time it takes to level the seams out.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Just remember, as has been posted before, that the biscuits swell due
to the water in the glue, and they will shrink back somewhat after a
few days. If you sand or scrape the tabletop before they have shrunk
back then you'll be left with slight indentations when they're finished
shrinking. The biscuit-shaped indentations will be visible if you view
the finished top at a glancing angle.

--
Vince Heuring To email, remove the Vince.

Todd Fatheree

"mac davis" wrote in message

As a new convert to biscuit joiners, I'd say that it's the easiest
system I've used,short of drilling and inserting a threaded rod into
them...
Faster, stronger and easier than butt joints and very easy to "mass
produce" the biscuit cuts in all the boards at once to either insure
good alignment (in the case of the experts here) or an interesting
stagger effect for folks like me.. *g*

One thing for sure.. I don't think my dowel points will get much use
now that I have the biscuit jointer.. YMMV

Mac

Is there anyone besides me that has a philosophical problem with using
biscuits? To me, having biscuits in a piece of "fine furniture" is like
using plywood for the top. Don't get me wrong...I'm no master craftsman
(yet). But there's just something wrong in my mind with using pressed wood
as part of the construction. I know that no one will ever see it or even
know about it unless I tell them, but I'll know. If I needed to increase
the strength and/or help with alignment, I guess I'd be inclined to use a
cross-grain spline.

todd

Al Reid

"Todd Fatheree" wrote in message ...
"mac davis" wrote in message

[...]

No problem at all, philosophical or otherwise. My brother has been making "Fine Furniture" for a living for over 20 years, He
swears by biscuits. If they're good enough for him, they're good enough for me.

--
Al Reid

How will I know when I get there...
If I don't know where I'm going?

Todd Fatheree

"mac davis" wrote in message

[...]

To each his own. Maybe my bar for "fine furniture" is set too high.

todd

Al Reid

"Todd Fatheree" wrote in message

To each his own. Maybe my bar for "fine furniture" is set too high.

todd

Obviously. Modern construction techniques and materials does not equate to
Wal-Mart furniture.

--
Al Reid

Swingman

"Todd Fatheree" wrote in message

Is there anyone besides me that has a philosophical problem with using
biscuits? To me, having biscuits in a piece of "fine furniture" is like
using plywood for the top. Don't get me wrong...I'm no master craftsman
(yet). But there's just something wrong in my mind with using pressed

wood
as part of the construction.

Yes and no ... depends upon the application to me.

I personally would not consider biscuit joinery in place of traditional
joinery techniques on "fine furniture", but I have no qualms about using
them where one would normally use splines, or similar joinery methods, in
the components of fine furniture.

My use of biscuits in "fine furniture" is generally restricted to two
applications: on large panel glue-up for the alignment convenience, and
occasionally to strengthen miter joints where I don't want to use a visible,
or contrasting color spline, that shows.

Not that it makes a damn, but DJM uses biscuits in more places in his "fine
furniture" pieces than I would, and there is little doubt that he has
reached "master" status ... but then again, it could be that he does that
for public consumption only?

But I know what you mean ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

Old unisaw table different from new ones? Heath Roberts Woodworking 8 March 22nd 04 04:21 PM
Extension leaf design for dining room table Melvin P. Schtepner Woodworking 5 March 12th 04 01:39 PM
Help! Sun damage & plastic tarp melted onto dining room table Emily Woodworking 2 October 12th 03 07:31 AM
Building an extension table. Rich Woodworking 2 July 18th 03 12:11 AM
My $11 coffee table Bubba Woodworking 10 July 15th 03 11:49 PM