Walsh

Default finish nailer

I'm in the market for a finish nailer to be used "recreationally" for
installing trim and building furniture. Anyone have recommendations for:

- 15 gauge vs. 16 gauge?
- brands?

Thanks!

Woodcrafter

I'm in the market for a finish nailer to be used "recreationally" for
installing trim and building furniture. Anyone have recommendations for:

- 15 gauge vs. 16 gauge?
- brands?

I have and use a Senco 15 gauge finish nailer. Has proved almost faultless
over time.
Heres my review: http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/sencoxp41.htm
There are plenty of options in the market though, so do some research before
you buy
--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Over 50 woodworking product reviews online!
Latest 6 Reviews:
- Ryobi EMS1830SCL 12" SCMS
- Bessey K-Body Clamps
- Lumber Wizard Metal Detector
- Pocket Hole Drilling Jig Project Book
- Kreg Universal Bench Klamp
- GRR-Ripper System & MJ Splitter

Ba r r y

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 05:42:06 GMT, patriarch
wrote:

I'm happy with my Porter Cable nailers. Others have expressed similar
opinions here. 5 out of 5 recreational nailer owners on my block use
Porter Cable.

I have the same kit, but sometimes wish it included 15 gauge finish
gun.

The 15 ga models usually have angled heads for reaching into corners,
the nails hold trim better, and there are several oil less models
available, like the Senco or Bostich.

The 16 ga PC nailer (FN250B??) is fine when finish nails are required
on furniture. The straight head is hard to get into tight spots when
installing things, and 2 1/2" nails protrude out of the bottom. They
can scratch finished items if you're not careful! DAMHIKT! This is
even worse when a customer is watching you install shop-finished
casework. I now wrap shop rags around the bottom when I have to get
into tight places. Most of the time, 18 ga brads would be fine where
you'd use a 16 ga nail.

I feel the best pair would be an 18 ga brad gun for furniture and
cabinetry work, and a 15 ga angle head finish nailer for trim and
casework installation.

Barry
Charlie Mraz

I'm in the market for a finish nailer to be used "recreationally" for
installing trim and building furniture. Anyone have recommendations for:

- 15 gauge vs. 16 gauge?
- brands?

Thanks!

Porter Cable has/recently had a neat bundle with compressor, 15 ga finish
nailer and 18 ga brad nailer. $300 at the home centers.

I'm happy with my Porter Cable nailers. Others have expressed similar
opinions here. 5 out of 5 recreational nailer owners on my block use
Porter Cable. Of course, that makes it a lot easier, when you need 'ammo'
on a weekend project....

Patriarch

I have a P-C FN250B 16ga nailer and my only complaint is that it lacks a dry
fire limiter. Though if I hadn't needed it in a hurry I probably would have
shopped around a bit more.

Charlie

Mike Reed

I have the PC 250A (15 ga.) I like it a lot. I've had no problems with
it. I also have a Harbor Freight 18 ga. brad nailer, which works fine
for $20 (i.e. no need to replace it). These two are a great
combination.

I don't see a 16 ga. nailer fitting in usefully. The nails are a
little slim, and they may deflect, but they are too big for delicate
work. An 18 and a 15 are a wonderful combination.

I also have a Bostitch FR framing nailer. It performs well too, even
though I got it at a pawn shop. It performs well enough that I would
consider the magnesium Bostitch 15 ga. finish nailer (which is very
lightweight), but I got a better deal on the PC.

-Mike