Ozboc

Default Orbital Sander V Belt Sander

I have both of these tools and can see some advantages and disadvantages to
each tool - I would just like some other input into the uses of these
tools -- i.e.

would you use belt sander to 'rough out' sanding and use the orbital to do
the final 'fine' sanding -- and so forth

any suggestions welcome

Boc

Sydney Australia

JGS

Hi Boc,
IMHO most woodworkers/ cabinetmakers seldom if ever use a belt sander unless
it's placed upside down in some kind of jig where you bring the wood to the
sander and not the sander to the wood. Unless I am using it as a sculpting tool
it sits on the shelf. It is just too aggressive for fine woodworking.
To go from rough to fine sanding use different grits of paper on your RO
sander. Cheers, JG

Ozboc wrote:

I have both of these tools and can see some advantages and disadvantages to
each tool - I would just like some other input into the uses of these
tools -- i.e.

would you use belt sander to 'rough out' sanding and use the orbital to do
the final 'fine' sanding -- and so forth

any suggestions welcome

Boc

Sydney Australia

Ozboc

"JGS" wrote in message
Hi Boc,
IMHO most woodworkers/ cabinetmakers seldom if ever use a belt sander

unless
it's placed upside down in some kind of jig where you bring the wood to

the
sander and not the sander to the wood. Unless I am using it as a sculpting

tool
it sits on the shelf. It is just too aggressive for fine woodworking.
To go from rough to fine sanding use different grits of paper on your RO
sander. Cheers, JG

Thanks Jg - My only real problem with an Orbital sander is swirl marks ----
( only when using rough paper )

Boc

Woodcrafter

Hi Boc,
IMHO most woodworkers/ cabinetmakers seldom if ever use a belt sander

unless
it's placed upside down in some kind of jig where you bring the wood to

the
sander and not the sander to the wood. Unless I am using it as a sculpting

tool
it sits on the shelf. It is just too aggressive for fine woodworking.
To go from rough to fine sanding use different grits of paper on your RO
sander. Cheers, JG

Sometimes its handy in the first stage of levelling out panel glue-ups in
the absence of a bigger drum sanding machine.
Ok to round sharp edges roughly for outdoor projects as well.
It has its uses, but I find I use my ROS more.

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Over 50 woodworking product reviews online!
Latest 6 Reviews:
- Ryobi EMS1830SCL 12" SCMS
- Bessey K-Body Clamps
- Lumber Wizard Metal Detector
- Pocket Hole Drilling Jig Project Book
- Kreg Universal Bench Klamp
- GRR-Ripper System & MJ Splitter

Bosch 1278VS mini belt sander belt problems Ed Woodworking 5 November 19th 17 03:44 PM
random orbital or finishing sander? Nory Woodworking 8 May 9th 04 04:00 PM
Bench Belt Sander? Oregon Woodworking 3 February 13th 04 11:14 PM
REVIEW: PC 352VS 3x21 Belt Sander Jay Pique Woodworking 5 November 25th 03 03:43 AM
Belt sander clogging Ernie Jurick Woodworking 6 November 4th 03 08:45 PM