Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Nick Z.

Default Getting Started Tips...

Hi All-
First time writer, long time reader.

I am looking for suggestions on getting my workshop started. I haven't touch anything woodworking related for several years now and would like to startup again. I am starting from square 1. I am looking for tips on hardware as well as which items recommended to purchase first. I know the saying goes "Don't buy any tool until you need it" but where to begin is the bigger question.

I am planning to start small (jewelry boxes and humidors) to get a hang of things again. I may get into lathe work as well, but most likely not right off the back. I don't want to invest huge amounts of money immediately. As I start to use the shop more and more I'll upgrade the equipment as needed.

I am planning on making use of my abundant 3rd floor attic space for the shop. Do you think this is a good or bad idea? My basement wont work so well and garage is pretty much out of the question also. I will need to run electric as well as insulate for the cold winters and hot (well they used to be at least) summers of Wisconsin! I know getting equipment up to the attic will be a real pain but it is all I think I can do.

Your comments are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick