Leuf

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 22:11:43 -0400, "Ron S."
wrote:

When I started gathering the major power tool, my first purchase was a table
saw. In retrospect, I probably would have been better served by starting
with the band saw.

And I thought I was going to be the only one to suggest this. I had
the benefit when I started of already having access to a table saw and
I use it a lot, but for small projects starting out it's hard to beat
a band saw. They are versatile, fun, and for your particular
situation, don't throw as much dust around as a table saw. Invest in
a good 14" one. I got an el cheapo 9" and yikes.. better than no
band saw at all, but not by much.

Direct a lot of your attention towards building up hand tools at the
start, as a lot of them are bare necessities and while they don't
generally have the sticker shock of the big power tools they sneak up
on you a little at a time. Plus if you change your mind you can
easily resell them on ebay for little loss. A good low angle block
plane. A good set of chisels. Clamps, four 12" Besseys is a good
start, but only a start.

Learning how to sharpen properly and mastering the band saw will keep
you out of trouble for a while. If your interest holds then start to
worry about where the table saw will find its home.

Searching this newsgroup via groups.google.com will provide you with
more information about just about anything you'd want to know.

-Leuf