Old January 11th 21, 04:46 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Epoxy, Fabric and Wood

Overall question:

Will epoxy hold flexible plastic to fabric? Specifically, West Systems G-Flex epoxy and 3M Dual Lock adhesive tape.

I'm trying to help a friend extend the life of a couch. To keep the cushions from sliding forward, the manufacturer used Velcro-like hook & loop material between the bottom of the cushions and the fabric that covers the springs in the base of the couch. The H&L strips are sewn onto the cushions and base and have served their purpose well for many years.

Unfortunately, the springs have weakened, so my friend put a piece of 3/4" plywood under the cushions to add firmness. This works fine, except that the cushions slide forward whenever someone sits on the couch since the H&L is no longer connected.

She tried some of the 3M Dual Lock adhesive tape between the cushions and plywood, but the tape does not stick to the fabric on the cushions for very long. After a few "sitting sessions" the tape, which is actually a hard but flexible plastic, loses it's adhesion to the fabric bottom of the cushion.

Short of taking the cushions to an upholsterer to see if they can sew the Dual Lock to the cushions, I'm wondering if the West Systems G-Flex epoxy might hold the tape to the fabric.

Other suggestions for preventing the cushions from sliding on the plywood would certainly be appreciated.

Old January 11th 21, 05:38 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 07:46:59 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

I'm confused .. more than usual it seems that you need to
attach hook/loop to the plywood - not the cushion .. ?
... .unless the cushion's H&L is worn out or compromised ?
Can't she hand-stitch some small pieces of H&L to the cushions ?
.... staple some to the plywood ?
John T.

Old January 11th 21, 05:56 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Sorry about that. Your confusion is understandable. The cushion's H&L has certainly seen better days. It's the
H portion on the cushions and not only have some of the stiches ripped out but there is "debris" in the hooks -
lint, etc.- which renders the hooks less effective.

Can't she hand-stitch some small pieces of H&L to the cushions ?
... staple some to the plywood ?

Probably, but there is a lot less friction between plywood and fabric than there is between 2 fabric surfaces. The
Dual Lock is much stronger than any H&L strips would be. I think the amount of H&L that would be needed would
require a lot of hand-stitching through the relative thick backing of the H&L strips and especially the plastic of the
Dual Lock. Doable, but it would be tough on the hands.

Maybe she should use some 40 grit adhesive backed sandpaper on the plywood. That would add some friction. ;-)
Old January 11th 21, 06:12 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/11/2021 9:46 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Try adding thick Super glue to the adhesive on the tape to penetrate the
fabric.
Old January 11th 21, 06:25 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/11/2021 11:12 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

One more thought. Will the hook side of the velcro stick to the fabric?
You may only need one side of the Velcro.

Old January 11th 21, 06:31 PM posted to rec.woodworking

An upholsterer would have and can do what needs to be done at a cost.

I suggest you go to Hobby Lobby (Hob-nobby Lobby) or your local fabric store and get at least 2, maybe 3, ready made buttons with eyes on the back side.... like this
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

These buttons are about the size of a nickel. Quarter size buttons would do fine, also. Attach a string to the eye and run the string from inside the back of the cushion (along the zipper area). Attach the string to the plywood, pulling/securing the cushion to the back of the ply. Maybe get some extra buttons, in case a button or eye breaks, you'll have replacement buttons. This may be your lease expensive fix and easy to do. Hobby Lobby or fabric store may have a large needle for threading string through the fabric.

Sonny
Old January 11th 21, 06:32 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Get 2 or 3 buttons per cushion.
Old January 11th 21, 06:40 PM posted to rec.woodworking

A thin strip of wood, like a long ruler, could be tucked inside the cushion zipper area, holes drilled into the strip for running the string attachments.... no need to buy buttons.
Old January 11th 21, 08:55 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/11/2021 8:46 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Epoxy generally has some flexibility, but not much. For some
applications a product called Flex Coat (an epoxy used for fishing rod
wraps) might be an option. For your application I think something like
3M 77 spray on contact adhesive might work better. I have found that
when sprayed on a single surface and applied wet (right away) its a
decent temporary bond, and when sprayed on both surface and left to get
tacky before pressing together it makes a more permanent bond. It does
seem to remain flexible. More than epoxy anyway.

Other contact adhesives may also work, but I keep 3M 77 on hand and use
it all the time.

https://www.avg.com

Old January 11th 21, 09:52 PM posted to rec.woodworking

In rec.woodworking, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Will epoxy hold flexible plastic to fabric? Specifically, West Systems
G-Flex epoxy and 3M Dual Lock adhesive tape.

I'm trying to help a friend extend the life of a couch. To keep the
cushions from sliding forward, the manufacturer used Velcro-like hook &
loop material between the bottom of the cushions and the fabric that
covers the springs in the base of the couch. The H&L strips are sewn
onto the cushions and base and have served their purpose well for many
years.

I've used E-6000 for plastic to cloth in the past, specifically for
covering a CD binder with faux fur. It's held up well, and I gather
E-6000 is widely used for fabric applications. It smells bad while
curing and will take a day or so to set.

I see it is now a whole family of products:

http://eclecticproducts.com/products/e6000/

I use a little at a time for various projects, and am on my third 2 oz
tube in about 20 years. Unlike some other adhesives I've used, it lasts
pretty well after opening.

Elijah
------
the binder has seen less use since getting rid of the car with the CD player