Old September 15th 20, 03:26 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Incorrectly tapped hole

I recently bought a lathe. Part of the promotion was an LED light. I
just received the light. Wanting to mount it on the headstock, I
found the holes in the headstock are incorrectly tapped. The mounting
location on the tailstock are correct. I really don't want it on the
tailstock.

The incorrect holes are drilled/tapped M3.5x.35mm. They should be
M4x.70. M3.5X.35 is a "standard" M3.5 fine thread but these things
are unicorns. I haven't found them anywhere, including Amazon,
Grainger, Bolt Depot, and Fastenal.

I've sent the manufacturer an email but have heard nothing. I sent
one with pictures of the problem but it bounced (images are rather
large, so understandable). I resent it without the pictures. Anyway.

1) How to correct?
a) The difference in diameter is less than the thread depth so
retapping to M4x.70 doesn't seem to be an option.
b) An M5 screw doesn't fit through the lamp holes.
c) M3.5x.35 is a "standard" M3.5 Fine thread but they're unicorns.
I've checked Amazon, Grainger, Bolt Depot, and Fastenal. No
joy.
d) The bracket is cast iron and also holds the spindle copying
fixture and is quite complicated. Copying it wouldn't be
a simple matter.

2) How the hell does this happen? Aren't these things made with CNC
tools? Both the drill and tap were loaded wrong? As far as I know
there aren't isn't any other M3.5 hardware on the lathe.

I'm not really optimistic that the manufacturer is going to answer
anytime soon. Two months after I bought the lathe I called to find
out where the promotional lamp kit was. I got no answer. The customer
support number on the paperwork had been disconnected. Another number
on the web site had a message that the phonemail inbox was full. I
don't remember how I finally got a message through but a week or two
later I got a call from Woodcraft corporate office (I bought the lathe
at a local store). Maybe I'll get another call from Woodcraft in a
couple of weeks. This wasn't a cheap tool. Not happy but amazed at
how this could happen.

Old September 15th 20, 07:11 AM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
I recently bought a lathe. Part of the promotion was an LED light. I
just received the light. Wanting to mount it on the headstock, I
found the holes in the headstock are incorrectly tapped. The mounting
location on the tailstock are correct. I really don't want it on the
tailstock.

The incorrect holes are drilled/tapped M3.5x.35mm. They should be
M4x.70. M3.5X.35 is a "standard" M3.5 fine thread but these things
are unicorns. I haven't found them anywhere, including Amazon,
Grainger, Bolt Depot, and Fastenal.

I've sent the manufacturer an email but have heard nothing. I sent
one with pictures of the problem but it bounced (images are rather
large, so understandable). I resent it without the pictures. Anyway.

1) How to correct?

People with small metal lathes "live for" problems like this.
You could go to hobby-machinist.com and see if their "resources" may
direct you to a bolt source. I feel reasonably confident that someone
there can point you to the right source (do a search first)--though you
are likely to get "Grainger pricing". If for any reason you are not
successful, someone may possibly even be willing to make some for you.
There are some very kind people there just as there are some very kind
people here. I'm sorry I don't own a metal lathe (but maybe someday).
I hope this is helpful.
- Bill
Old September 15th 20, 10:40 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, September 14, 2020 at 8:26:56 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I recently bought a lathe. Part of the promotion was an LED light. I
just received the light. Wanting to mount it on the headstock, I
found the holes in the headstock are incorrectly tapped. The mounting
location on the tailstock are correct. I really don't want it on the
tailstock.

The incorrect holes are drilled/tapped M3.5x.35mm. They should be
M4x.70. M3.5X.35 is a "standard" M3.5 fine thread but these things
are unicorns. I haven't found them anywhere, including Amazon,
Grainger, Bolt Depot, and Fastenal.

Have you looked at McMaster-Carr website? Left menu - select what you're looking for, see what they have.
https://www.mcmaster.com/screws/screws/

Sonny
Old September 15th 20, 11:04 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/14/2020 6:26 PM, wrote:
[...]

A quick check shows a 3.5 hole will give you 53% thread form for an M4
thread. 75 would be better in cast iiron or aluminum, but 53% will hold
just fine if you don't act like a ****** with a spanner. Knock yourself
out and drill and retap it. Problem solved.

Old September 15th 20, 11:51 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 Sep 2020 14:04:10 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

On 9/14/2020 6:26 PM, wrote:
[...]

Or, drill and tap for a M4 helicoil.

Joe Gwinn

Old September 16th 20, 03:38 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 Sep 2020 13:40:08 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

On Monday, September 14, 2020 at 8:26:56 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I recently bought a lathe. Part of the promotion was an LED light. I
just received the light. Wanting to mount it on the headstock, I
found the holes in the headstock are incorrectly tapped. The mounting
location on the tailstock are correct. I really don't want it on the
tailstock.

The incorrect holes are drilled/tapped M3.5x.35mm. They should be
M4x.70. M3.5X.35 is a "standard" M3.5 fine thread but these things
are unicorns. I haven't found them anywhere, including Amazon,
Grainger, Bolt Depot, and Fastenal.

Have you looked at McMaster-Carr website? Left menu - select what you're looking for, see what they have.
https://www.mcmaster.com/screws/screws/

Yeah, I looked there too. They really are unicorns.
Old September 16th 20, 03:39 AM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 9/14/2020 6:26 PM, wrote:
[...]

Now there's an idea! Thanks. I'll find some as a backup.
Old September 16th 20, 03:41 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 Sep 2020 01:11:22 -0400, Bill wrote:

wrote:
[...]

I don't care much about "Grainger" pricing (though IME they're really
bad). I only need four screws.
Old September 16th 20, 07:11 AM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Don't write-off hobby-machinist.com too fast. I know someone there (who
I have never met in real life) who I feel quite confident is up to this
task. He works around real machinists by day. There is also a "big
brother" website for hobby-machinist, I forget the name offhand, but it
is not hard to find. If you can provide a specification for exactly what
you want (and it sounds like you are close to that already), then
someone can will surely be able to make it. An amateur may be willing to
do it cheap. To a machinist, a specification is like a contract, and it
shows that you don't want to waste his or her time.
Old September 16th 20, 05:49 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

I don't care for Grainger as a company, but sometimes if they are the
only one who has what I need I have to swallow my pride, dignity, and
self respect. No I don't. If they are the only one who has a screw I
need I'll make one instead.

P.S. Zoro is Grainger.

Usually McMaster Carr has screw and bolt needs covered. Sometimes I
also check Bolt Depot.

https://www.mcmaster.com/machine-scr...ead-size~m3-5/
I didn't check to see if they have the thread pitch you need, but they
do have a lot of M3.5 machine screws. Ok... the common pitch for M3.5 is
..600. M3 has a commmon pitch of .350