Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Incorrectly tapped hole

I recently bought a lathe. Part of the promotion was an LED light. I
just received the light. Wanting to mount it on the headstock, I
found the holes in the headstock are incorrectly tapped. The mounting
location on the tailstock are correct. I really don't want it on the
tailstock.

The incorrect holes are drilled/tapped M3.5x.35mm. They should be
M4x.70. M3.5X.35 is a "standard" M3.5 fine thread but these things
are unicorns. I haven't found them anywhere, including Amazon,
Grainger, Bolt Depot, and Fastenal.

I've sent the manufacturer an email but have heard nothing. I sent
one with pictures of the problem but it bounced (images are rather
large, so understandable). I resent it without the pictures. Anyway.

1) How to correct?
a) The difference in diameter is less than the thread depth so
retapping to M4x.70 doesn't seem to be an option.
b) An M5 screw doesn't fit through the lamp holes.
c) M3.5x.35 is a "standard" M3.5 Fine thread but they're unicorns.
I've checked Amazon, Grainger, Bolt Depot, and Fastenal. No
joy.
d) The bracket is cast iron and also holds the spindle copying
fixture and is quite complicated. Copying it wouldn't be
a simple matter.

2) How the hell does this happen? Aren't these things made with CNC
tools? Both the drill and tap were loaded wrong? As far as I know
there aren't isn't any other M3.5 hardware on the lathe.

I'm not really optimistic that the manufacturer is going to answer
anytime soon. Two months after I bought the lathe I called to find
out where the promotional lamp kit was. I got no answer. The customer
support number on the paperwork had been disconnected. Another number
on the web site had a message that the phonemail inbox was full. I
don't remember how I finally got a message through but a week or two
later I got a call from Woodcraft corporate office (I bought the lathe
at a local store). Maybe I'll get another call from Woodcraft in a
couple of weeks. This wasn't a cheap tool. Not happy but amazed at
how this could happen.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, September 14, 2020 at 8:26:56 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I recently bought a lathe. Part of the promotion was an LED light. I
just received the light. Wanting to mount it on the headstock, I
found the holes in the headstock are incorrectly tapped. The mounting
location on the tailstock are correct. I really don't want it on the
tailstock.

The incorrect holes are drilled/tapped M3.5x.35mm. They should be
M4x.70. M3.5X.35 is a "standard" M3.5 fine thread but these things
are unicorns. I haven't found them anywhere, including Amazon,
Grainger, Bolt Depot, and Fastenal.

Have you looked at McMaster-Carr website? Left menu - select what you're looking for, see what they have.
https://www.mcmaster.com/screws/screws/

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/14/2020 6:26 PM, wrote:
[...]

A quick check shows a 3.5 hole will give you 53% thread form for an M4
thread. 75 would be better in cast iiron or aluminum, but 53% will hold
just fine if you don't act like a ****** with a spanner. Knock yourself
out and drill and retap it. Problem solved.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 Sep 2020 14:04:10 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

On 9/14/2020 6:26 PM, wrote:
[...]

Or, drill and tap for a M4 helicoil.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 Sep 2020 13:40:08 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

On Monday, September 14, 2020 at 8:26:56 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I recently bought a lathe. Part of the promotion was an LED light. I
just received the light. Wanting to mount it on the headstock, I
found the holes in the headstock are incorrectly tapped. The mounting
location on the tailstock are correct. I really don't want it on the
tailstock.

The incorrect holes are drilled/tapped M3.5x.35mm. They should be
M4x.70. M3.5X.35 is a "standard" M3.5 fine thread but these things
are unicorns. I haven't found them anywhere, including Amazon,
Grainger, Bolt Depot, and Fastenal.

Have you looked at McMaster-Carr website? Left menu - select what you're looking for, see what they have.
https://www.mcmaster.com/screws/screws/

Yeah, I looked there too. They really are unicorns.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 9/14/2020 6:26 PM, wrote:
[...]

Now there's an idea! Thanks. I'll find some as a backup.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 Sep 2020 01:11:22 -0400, Bill wrote:

wrote:
I recently bought a lathe. Part of the promotion was an LED light. I
just received the light. Wanting to mount it on the headstock, I
found the holes in the headstock are incorrectly tapped. The mounting
location on the tailstock are correct. I really don't want it on the
tailstock.

The incorrect holes are drilled/tapped M3.5x.35mm. They should be
M4x.70. M3.5X.35 is a "standard" M3.5 fine thread but these things
are unicorns. I haven't found them anywhere, including Amazon,
Grainger, Bolt Depot, and Fastenal.

I've sent the manufacturer an email but have heard nothing. I sent
one with pictures of the problem but it bounced (images are rather
large, so understandable). I resent it without the pictures. Anyway.

1) How to correct?

People with small metal lathes "live for" problems like this.
You could go to hobby-machinist.com and see if their "resources" may
direct you to a bolt source. I feel reasonably confident that someone
there can point you to the right source (do a search first)--though you
are likely to get "Grainger pricing". If for any reason you are not
successful, someone may possibly even be willing to make some for you.
There are some very kind people there just as there are some very kind
people here. I'm sorry I don't own a metal lathe (but maybe someday).
I hope this is helpful.

I don't care much about "Grainger" pricing (though IME they're really
bad). I only need four screws.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Don't write-off hobby-machinist.com too fast. I know someone there (who
I have never met in real life) who I feel quite confident is up to this
task. He works around real machinists by day. There is also a "big
brother" website for hobby-machinist, I forget the name offhand, but it
is not hard to find. If you can provide a specification for exactly what
you want (and it sounds like you are close to that already), then
someone can will surely be able to make it. An amateur may be willing to
do it cheap. To a machinist, a specification is like a contract, and it
shows that you don't want to waste his or her time.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

I don't care for Grainger as a company, but sometimes if they are the
only one who has what I need I have to swallow my pride, dignity, and
self respect. No I don't. If they are the only one who has a screw I
need I'll make one instead.

P.S. Zoro is Grainger.

Usually McMaster Carr has screw and bolt needs covered. Sometimes I
also check Bolt Depot.

https://www.mcmaster.com/machine-scr...ead-size~m3-5/
I didn't check to see if they have the thread pitch you need, but they
do have a lot of M3.5 machine screws. Ok... the common pitch for M3.5 is
..600. M3 has a commmon pitch of .350

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

I don't have any metal working tools and I'm really not much
interested. Welding might be some fun but I can't play in that
sandbox.

Usually McMaster Carr has screw and bolt needs covered. Sometimes I
also check Bolt Depot.

I needed 50 1/2 x 3-1/3" carriage bolts, nuts, and washers earlier
this year. Bolt Depot was less than half the cost of McMaster and
Grainger was simply on drugs.

https://www.mcmaster.com/machine-scr...ead-size~m3-5/
I didn't check to see if they have the thread pitch you need, but they
do have a lot of M3.5 machine screws. Ok... the common pitch for M3.5 is
.600. M3 has a commmon pitch of .350

Yeah, the .35 thread is the standard "fine" thread but no one seems to
use it. "Standard" my foot.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

I'll give them a chance to make it right but my email to their
customer service was bounced again today. I meant to call this
afternoon but got busy doing something else.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 08:49:16 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

wrote:
[...]

If you find one that's too long, you could always cut it off, and touch
up the threads as necessary.

Posted to rec.woodworking

If you find one that's too long, you could always cut it off, and touch
up the threads as necessary.

Little trick, of which I'm sure most of you are aware, thread a nut on before cutting/shortening the fastener. Removing the nut afterwards helps straighten/correct any threads slightly damaged during the cutting process...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, September 17, 2020 at 9:00:06 AM UTC-4, Brian Welch wrote:
If you find one that's too long, you could always cut it off, and touch
up the threads as necessary.

Little trick, of which I'm sure most of you are aware, thread a nut on before cutting/shortening the fastener. Removing the nut afterwards helps straighten/correct any threads slightly damaged during the cutting process...

He hasn't even found the bolts yet. Now you've got him looking for nuts too! ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 17 Sep 2020 12:31:57 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Thursday, September 17, 2020 at 9:00:06 AM UTC-4, Brian Welch wrote:
If you find one that's too long, you could always cut it off, and touch
up the threads as necessary.

Little trick, of which I'm sure most of you are aware, thread a nut on before cutting/shortening the fastener. Removing the nut afterwards helps straighten/correct any threads slightly damaged during the cutting process...

He hasn't even found the bolts yet. Now you've got him looking for nuts too! ;-)

I don't even need the nuts.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I don't even need the nuts.

Iffn you're going to consider cutting a bolt that's too long, a nut would be cheap insurance.
Just a friendly suggestion...
Best...
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Thursday, September 17, 2020 at 9:00:06 AM UTC-4, Brian Welch wrote:
If you find one that's too long, you could always cut it off, and touch
up the threads as necessary.
Little trick, of which I'm sure most of you are aware, thread a nut on before cutting/shortening the fastener. Removing the nut afterwards helps straighten/correct any threads slightly damaged during the cutting process...

He hasn't even found the bolts yet. Now you've got him looking for nuts too! ;-)

I don't even need the nuts.

Have you tried to reach out to any machinists yet?

Not yet. Trying the manufacturer again. I shouldn't have to go
through this.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 18 Sep 2020 05:13:32 -0700 (PDT), Brian Welch
wrote:

I don't even need the nuts.

Iffn you're going to consider cutting a bolt that's too long, a nut would be cheap insurance.
Just a friendly suggestion...
Best...

If I could find a screw, perhaps I could find a nut to go along with
it. ;-)