Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_107_] Bill[_107_] is offline

Default Incorrectly tapped hole

wrote:
I recently bought a lathe. Part of the promotion was an LED light. I
just received the light. Wanting to mount it on the headstock, I
found the holes in the headstock are incorrectly tapped. The mounting
location on the tailstock are correct. I really don't want it on the
tailstock.

The incorrect holes are drilled/tapped M3.5x.35mm. They should be
M4x.70. M3.5X.35 is a "standard" M3.5 fine thread but these things
are unicorns. I haven't found them anywhere, including Amazon,
Grainger, Bolt Depot, and Fastenal.

I've sent the manufacturer an email but have heard nothing. I sent
one with pictures of the problem but it bounced (images are rather
large, so understandable). I resent it without the pictures. Anyway.

1) How to correct?

People with small metal lathes "live for" problems like this.
You could go to hobby-machinist.com and see if their "resources" may
direct you to a bolt source. I feel reasonably confident that someone
there can point you to the right source (do a search first)--though you
are likely to get "Grainger pricing". If for any reason you are not
successful, someone may possibly even be willing to make some for you.
There are some very kind people there just as there are some very kind
people here. I'm sorry I don't own a metal lathe (but maybe someday).
I hope this is helpful.
- Bill