Nick Bozovich

Default Fourty Cent Method - Hollow Chisel Mortiser

Sorry for posting this this way, but I figured that the OP is probably below
everyone's radar by now.

I just wanted to thank Morris Dovey, Jack Novak, and Charlie B and the OP
and whoever else participated in this post - I tried it last night and it
worked like a charm!!! I've had this thing for a year, and it's been
screeching nearly the whole time. I couldn't figure out why it didn't work
like Norm's did on TV, and it was starting to frustrate me.

I printed it and have it posted on the wall by my mortiser. My newest
tool(s) are (is?) fourty cents - nickel, dime, quarter, and they now proudly
reside in the drawer under my mortiser (hope SWMBO doesn't find out about
that!!) - Yet another example of how valuable this newsgroup is -
;-))

Thanks again guys!!

Nick B

Morris Dovey

Nick Bozovich wrote:

Sorry for posting this this way, but I figured that the OP is probably below
everyone's radar by now.

I just wanted to thank Morris Dovey, Jack Novak, and Charlie B and the OP
and whoever else participated in this post - I tried it last night and it
worked like a charm!!! I've had this thing for a year, and it's been
screeching nearly the whole time. I couldn't figure out why it didn't work
like Norm's did on TV, and it was starting to frustrate me.

I printed it and have it posted on the wall by my mortiser. My newest
tool(s) are (is?) fourty cents - nickel, dime, quarter, and they now proudly
reside in the drawer under my mortiser (hope SWMBO doesn't find out about
that!!) - Yet another example of how valuable this newsgroup is -
;-))

You're welcome - although all I did was say thanks to Charlie B
for posing the link... (-8

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Nick Bozovich

I hope charlie b and others won't mind, but here's the link
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/...tingTrick.html

Mine was screaching and screaming when I ran it, and it didn't cut worth a
damn. I had bought some aftermarket chisels and bits but even they didn't
work well. It's all in the setting of the space between the chisel and the
bit.

Nice to have my tool back!!

Nick B.

"Rob V" wrote in message
m...
[...]

charlie b

Nick Bozovich wrote:

snip

My newest
tool(s) are (is?) fourty cents - nickel, dime, quarter, and they now proudly
reside in the drawer under my mortiser (hope SWMBO doesn't find out about
that!!)

Probably the cheapest tool you've ever acquired (gifts don't count).

If you have a Dewalt 621 plunge router and want to use it in your
router table, here's an even cheaper DIY accessory that lets you
exploit the DW621's fine height adjustment

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/DW621DooHickey.html

charlie b

Swingman

"George" wrote in message
It is, after a fashion, in the JET manual.

Also spelled out, if not counted out, in the Delta manual for my machine ...
but you gotta read it to get the benefit.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

Swingman

"Rob V" wrote in message

Picked my jet up at an auction - so no manual.

That's no damn excuse. ;)

http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/index.cf...s&vid=1&CID=72

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

Charlie Self

Rob V notes:

Picked my jet up at an auction - so no manual.

PDF downloads at the WMH Tool site (or www.jettools.com). Don't know if the
manual you need is among the several offered for mortisers, but they have some.

Charlie Self
"A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never
learned to walk forward." Franklin D. Roosevelt, radio address, Oct. 26, 1939

charlie b

Robin Lee wrote:

Hey - where can we get one of those kits??

Sorry - someone had to ask

Veritas Mortising Chisel/Bit Setting Kit
$1 US
$ 1.44 CND
2.800 ITAL
0.65 EURO
0.70 DM
(please specify country as kit components
vary by country)

Hmmm.

Never mind.

charlie b

ps: The saddle dovetail marking gauge is nice
but it would be even better if it had the
additional feature described & shown here.

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/...Drawer17A.html

Because
the centerline of either the pins or the
tails are layed out first (unless you're
Frank Klausz, in which case you don't
use any layout lines), it would be nice
to see the centerline while laying out
the pin (or tail) angle lines.

The "All rights reserved" thing isn't applicable
to Lee Valley/Veritas - you folks are welcome
to the idea - no strings. A token of appreciation
for all the things you've already done for wood
workers.