patrick conroy

Default Q: Hollow Chisel Mortiser - noisy bits in chisels?

Picked up the Delta MM300 for a hunnert bucks as part of Lowe's Delta
clearance. Never had one of these before. The bits "sing" pretty loudly as
they spin in their chisels. Not so loud or not a screech that would signal
a binding or a problem. But a louder "scraping" sound than I'd have
expected.

I know that's pretty subjective.
But I finally saw a Woodworking at Home segment where he fires up his
mortiser and I think mine are louder than his.

Do they quiet down over time? Is it more a case of using the inexpensive
Delta bits that ship with the machine?
As an experiment, I varied the amount of bit exposed beyond the chisel from
0" to 1/4" (IIRC the manual says a 1/16 - 3/16" exposure) and didn't hear a
difference.

Also - the instructions are pretty vague about how much of the bit tip
protrudes below the chisel corners. Again I think the manual says 1/16-3/16"
"depending on the wood."

Can someone lend some guidance on how they set up their hollow chisel
mortisers?

Woodcrafter

Can someone lend some guidance on how they set up their hollow chisel
mortisers?

Mine have a similar melody.
I found you also have to experiment a little with the distance the drill bit
protrudes from the bottom of the hollow chisel.
Use some scrap wood to experiement, and when you find the depth that gives
the best results, write it down in a notebook along with the wood type and
keep it handy.

The machines can be a bit fiddly to set up, but once you have done so, they
are very handy.

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Over 50 woodworking product reviews online!
Latest 6 Reviews:
- Bessey K-Body Clamps
- HyLoft Overhead Storage System
- Lumber Wizard Metal Detector
- Pocket Hole Drilling Jig Project Book
- Kreg Universal Bench Klamp
- GRR-Ripper System & MJ Splitter

Edwin Pawlowski

"patrick conroy" wrote in message
Picked up the Delta MM300 for a hunnert bucks as part of Lowe's Delta
clearance. Never had one of these before. The bits "sing" pretty loudly
as
they spin in their chisels. Not so loud or not a screech that would
signal
a binding or a problem. But a louder "scraping" sound than I'd have
expected.

Mine is louder than a drill press, but nothing like a router.

Before you get into this very far, sharpen the chisels and bits. Hone the
outside of the chisels, buy conical shaped tool for the inside from Lee
Valley. Use a small file for the bits.

Out of the box, mine were a PITA, but after a few minutes with a stone and
file, they work OK now.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 23:58:23 GMT, "Dave jackson"
calmly ranted:

Mine are similarly noisy. I give 'em a shot of wd-40 while they are running
via the slot in the side of the chisel. solves the problem for a
while --dave

That makes a really good juice which makes the glue fail
to stick in that mortise, too.

I put paste wax on the bit and chisel before use, wait for
it to dry, buff it off, and install them. Much quieter with
no danger of glue failure.

Jack Kevorkian for Congressional physician!
http://www.diversify.com Wondrous Website Design

patrick conroy

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
om...

Before you get into this very far, sharpen the chisels and bits. Hone the
outside of the chisels, buy conical shaped tool for the inside from Lee
Valley. Use a small file for the bits.

Thanks - I did invest in the Lee Valley cones. Honed the 1/2" chisel,
installed it and made one square hole before the pin holding the handle to
the shaft sheared off. Oh well, the Delta Service center is near work
so I dropped it off today.

charlie b

Polish the outside of the chisel and stone the bit - helps quite a bit.

The Forty Cent Method for setting the gap between the chisel and
the bit -

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/...tingTrick.html

charlie b
Morris Dovey

charlie b wrote:

Polish the outside of the chisel and stone the bit - helps quite a bit.

The Forty Cent Method for setting the gap between the chisel and
the bit -

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/...tingTrick.html

Charlie...

Good page! Thanks for the link.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

patrick conroy

"charlie b" wrote in message

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/...tingTrick.html

Thanks Charlie.
I printed that page off and taped it to the wall.