Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
patrick conroy

Default Q: Hollow Chisel Mortiser - noisy bits in chisels?

Picked up the Delta MM300 for a hunnert bucks as part of Lowe's Delta
clearance. Never had one of these before. The bits "sing" pretty loudly as
they spin in their chisels. Not so loud or not a screech that would signal
a binding or a problem. But a louder "scraping" sound than I'd have
expected.

I know that's pretty subjective.
But I finally saw a Woodworking at Home segment where he fires up his
mortiser and I think mine are louder than his.

Do they quiet down over time? Is it more a case of using the inexpensive
Delta bits that ship with the machine?
As an experiment, I varied the amount of bit exposed beyond the chisel from
0" to 1/4" (IIRC the manual says a 1/16 - 3/16" exposure) and didn't hear a
difference.

Also - the instructions are pretty vague about how much of the bit tip
protrudes below the chisel corners. Again I think the manual says 1/16-3/16"
"depending on the wood."

Can someone lend some guidance on how they set up their hollow chisel
mortisers?