Dave jackson

Mine are similarly noisy. I give 'em a shot of wd-40 while they are running
via the slot in the side of the chisel. solves the problem for a
while --dave
"patrick conroy" wrote in message
Picked up the Delta MM300 for a hunnert bucks as part of Lowe's Delta
clearance. Never had one of these before. The bits "sing" pretty loudly

as
they spin in their chisels. Not so loud or not a screech that would

signal
a binding or a problem. But a louder "scraping" sound than I'd have
expected.

I know that's pretty subjective.
But I finally saw a Woodworking at Home segment where he fires up his
mortiser and I think mine are louder than his.

Do they quiet down over time? Is it more a case of using the inexpensive
Delta bits that ship with the machine?
As an experiment, I varied the amount of bit exposed beyond the chisel

from
0" to 1/4" (IIRC the manual says a 1/16 - 3/16" exposure) and didn't hear

difference.

Also - the instructions are pretty vague about how much of the bit tip
protrudes below the chisel corners. Again I think the manual says

1/16-3/16"
"depending on the wood."

Can someone lend some guidance on how they set up their hollow chisel
mortisers?