Wyatt Wright

Default Old Delta Bandsaw Model 880 or 28-307

I will have the option to buy an old Delta/Milwaukee bandsaw at an
upcoming estate sail. At this point, I have only see a picture that
gives me little detail. From that picture, I am guessing that it is
Model 880 or a Model 28-307. This is based on my research at
http://www.oldwwmachines.com

I don't have any details but it supposedly "runs good" and they will
be asking $200.

Here is the picture, any information or advice would be appreciated.
http://webpages.charter.net/wyattwri...ltaBandsaw.htm
GTO69RA4

I will have the option to buy an old Delta/Milwaukee bandsaw at an
upcoming estate sail. At this point, I have only see a picture that
gives me little detail. From that picture, I am guessing that it is
Model 880 or a Model 28-307. This is based on my research at
http://www.oldwwmachines.com

I don't have any details but it supposedly "runs good" and they will
be asking $200.

Here is the picture, any information or advice would be appreciated.
http://webpages.charter.net/wyattwri...ltaBandsaw.htm

That's a great deal for the metal/wood saw. Might also be a 28-380. I bought
one of those for $65 last year (cough, drive by, cough) and it's great. Go for
it.

GTO(John)
John, in MN

On 26 Aug 2004 09:36:14 -0700, (Wyatt Wright)
wrote:

I will have the option to buy an old Delta/Milwaukee bandsaw at an
upcoming estate sail. At this point, I have only see a picture that
gives me little detail. From that picture, I am guessing that it is
Model 880 or a Model 28-307. This is based on my research at
http://www.oldwwmachines.com

I don't have any details but it supposedly "runs good" and they will
be asking $200.

Here is the picture, any information or advice would be appreciated.
http://webpages.charter.net/wyattwri...ltaBandsaw.htm

I recently stumbled upon a similar saw and bought it. Funny thing
is it's the same color. This wasn't ever standard for these saws,
was it? $200, I'd would have grabbed it.

--
John, in Minnesota
Al

(Wyatt Wright) wrote in
om:

I will have the option to buy an old Delta/Milwaukee bandsaw at an
upcoming estate sail. At this point, I have only see a picture that
gives me little detail. From that picture, I am guessing that it is
Model 880 or a Model 28-307. This is based on my research at
http://www.oldwwmachines.com

I don't have any details but it supposedly "runs good" and they will
be asking $200.

Here is the picture, any information or advice would be appreciated.
http://webpages.charter.net/wyattwri...ltaBandsaw.htm

I have a similar saw (Not green, mine is grey) . $200 is a great price -
grab it. Then call/write delta with the serial no. and they will send you
date of manufacture and a parts breakdown. (mine was made in 1947). The
multi speed flexibility is great.
Dave W

Those old wood/metal bandsaws are very useful. I grew up with one and wish
I had it now. I think $200 is a real steal.
Dave

Unisaw A100

Looks like a Delta/Rockwell. Could be a Delta/Milwaukee.
Hard to see the tag with the angle. You know that for two
hunnert you will have to drop your pants down around your
ankles and wag the neighbors, right?

UA100
mnterpfan

"John, in MN" wrote in message ...

I recently stumbled upon a similar saw and bought it. Funny thing
is it's the same color. This wasn't ever standard for these saws,
was it? $200, I'd would have grabbed it.

I stumbled on one today. Model 28-380. All cast iron built in 1956.
$50. Judging from what I've seen so far, $200 would have been very
reasonable too.

By the way, another $50 got me a 14" Rockwell Delta Radial Arm Saw.
The trouble is, both are 3phase. It'll take some doing to make them
usable.
Wyatt Wright

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 20:21:16 GMT, Al
wrote:

(Wyatt Wright) wrote in
. com:

I will have the option to buy an old Delta/Milwaukee bandsaw at an
upcoming estate sail. At this point, I have only see a picture that
gives me little detail. From that picture, I am guessing that it is
Model 880 or a Model 28-307. This is based on my research at
http://www.oldwwmachines.com

I don't have any details but it supposedly "runs good" and they will
be asking $200.

Here is the picture, any information or advice would be appreciated.
http://webpages.charter.net/wyattwri...ltaBandsaw.htm

I have a similar saw (Not green, mine is grey) . $200 is a great price -
grab it. Then call/write delta with the serial no. and they will send you
date of manufacture and a parts breakdown. (mine was made in 1947). The
multi speed flexibility is great.

I bought it tonight. Paid $225. I'm pretty sure that it is a 28-307
but I am waiting on confirmation from Delta. The sn is 84-6610.

A quick adjustment and the blade tracked fine but I lack the proper
belt to run at woodcutting speeds and there were no woodcutting blades
with the unit.

I will be getting a new belt and blades, clean it up and post pics and
more info once I get it cleaned up.

Thanks to all who replied.

The steal of the night was an American Manufactures Brass Kettle #2
for $25. This will be an anniversary gift for swmbo in a couple of
weeks. It looks a bit like this one but mine is a #2 and this is a #3
and I think a bit smaller.

http://antiques-internet.com/colorad...age/IP1905.htm

Unisaw A100

Wyatt Wright wrote:
I bought it tonight. Paid $225. I'm pretty sure that it is a 28-307
but I am waiting on confirmation from Delta. The sn is 84-6610.

The serial number makes it a 1950. Delta can/will be able
to give you the exact month it was rolled off the assembly
line in Milwaukee.

From the 1950 Delta Production Machine Tools catalog (this
is a service Delta won't offer you) it is indeed a model
No. 28-307 and would have run you $195.10 brand spanking and
new with the open stand but without the motor. Proper motor
(for the era) would have been a 1/2 horse Cap. Start No.
82-710 and set you back an additional $88.50. The motor
control (fancy name for switch) would have been already
mounted on the motor side and switched via a stiff rod
running from the toggle up to the stand.

In my humble opinion, you got it for less than new retail
(50's prices) and that my boy is a gloat.

For additional details visit your friendly owwm.com site.

UA100, who once knew a Wyatt Wright who made children's
toys...
Wyatt Wright

Unisaw A100 wrote in message . ..
Wyatt Wright wrote:
I bought it tonight. Paid $225. I'm pretty sure that it is a 28-307
but I am waiting on confirmation from Delta. The sn is 84-6610.

The serial number makes it a 1950. Delta can/will be able
to give you the exact month it was rolled off the assembly
line in Milwaukee.

From the 1950 Delta Production Machine Tools catalog (this
is a service Delta won't offer you) it is indeed a model
No. 28-307 and would have run you $195.10 brand spanking and
new with the open stand but without the motor. Proper motor
(for the era) would have been a 1/2 horse Cap. Start No.
82-710 and set you back an additional $88.50. The motor
control (fancy name for switch) would have been already
mounted on the motor side and switched via a stiff rod
running from the toggle up to the stand.

In my humble opinion, you got it for less than new retail
(50's prices) and that my boy is a gloat.

For additional details visit your friendly owwm.com site.

UA100, who once knew a Wyatt Wright who made children's
toys...

Thanks for the info. I gotta get me the right belt and a couple of
new blades ASAP and see how well it makes sawdust. I'll contribute to
owwm once it get it cleaned up.

FYI, I did drop my pants and wag my neighbors last night, but it was
dark so they were spared the painful visuals.

GTO69RA4

You can probably get a VFD that will take single phase in and give you
three phase out.

That won't give you full power, and the VFD part is wasted on the radial arm
saw. You can build a rotary converter for almost anothing.

GTO(John)

Bob Peterson

I am unsure just what you are referring to when you talk about full power.

These days you could possibly pickup a used one on ebay pretty cheap. Much
simpler than cobbling up something else, although the free part has its
attraction. :-)