Mr.Breeze

Default Attaching sheves to drywall

I just purchased a house that has a garage completely empty...not a
shelf or bench in site...(unlike my last home)...Im headed for some
woodworking...my main project will be putting some shelves up....the
garage is completely drywall..so Im curious how to attach the wooden
2x4's to the drywall so the shevles will be secure and
steady?....thanks from a new woodworker in training.
J. Clarke

Mr.Breeze wrote:

I just purchased a house that has a garage completely empty...not a
shelf or bench in site...(unlike my last home)...Im headed for some
woodworking...my main project will be putting some shelves up....the
garage is completely drywall..so Im curious how to attach the wooden
2x4's to the drywall so the shevles will be secure and
steady?....thanks from a new woodworker in training.

Get a stud finder and locate the wood or steel studs behind the drywall, and
fasten your shelf supports to those. Don't count on drywall to hold any
load heavier than a picture. Heck, don't even _count_ on it to hold
that--if the picture's valuable either put it over a stud or run a board
between two studs behind it.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
chuck yerkes

Mr.Breeze wrote:

I just purchased a house that has a garage completely empty...not a
shelf or bench in site...(unlike my last home)...Im headed for some
woodworking...my main project will be putting some shelves up....the
garage is completely drywall..so Im curious how to attach the wooden
2x4's to the drywall so the shevles will be secure and
steady?....thanks from a new woodworker in training.

Um, same way you do INSIDE. To studs.

But consider cabinetry as your first project.

Jay Windley

"Mike Reed" wrote in message
om...

| I just don't trust anything that threads into drywall.

I agree. Drywall should not be depended on to carry any load except for its
own and a couple of coats of paint. I've seen every fancy doo-dad designed
to enable drywall to bear the weight of something else, at some point tear
an obnoxious hole in it. Unfortunately that includes toggle bolts, even
though I agree they're the best attempt. If you've absolutely got to put
something between studs, fasten a furring strip between the studs and put
your object on that.

--Jay