Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Weather Proof Birch Wood

What is the best stain, oil, etc., to weather prod birch wood? Were making
a table for our patio. Thanks!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...od-824713-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 06:44:01 +0000, Gigi
m wrote:

What is the best stain, oil, etc., to weather prod birch wood? We’re making
a table for our patio. Thanks!

Paint.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, July 2, 2020 at 1:44:03 AM UTC-5, Gigi wrote:
What is the best stain, oil, etc., to weather prod birch wood? Were making
a table for our patio. Thanks!

If your patio is covered and the table will rarely be exposed to direct sunlight, then pretty much any marine finish will do fine. My patio swing was finished with spar urethane at least 25 yrs ago and is still in pretty good shape. Besides, if your table top's finish doesn't "survive" for 5-10 yrs, it shouldn't be difficult to sand and refinish it.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/2/2020 1:44 AM, Gigi wrote:
What is the best stain, oil, etc., to weather prod birch wood? Were making
a table for our patio. Thanks!

None! The best stains are only temporary. If you want weather proof
consider a better wood choice, aluminum, or composite.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/2/2020 1:26 PM, Leon wrote:
On 7/2/2020 1:44 AM, Gigi wrote:
What is the best stain, oil, etc., to weather prod birch wood? Were
making
a table for our patio. Thanks!

None!Â* The best stains are only temporary.Â* If you want weather proof
consider a better wood choice, aluminum, or composite.

If you have not already purchased the birch plywood you may want to look
into buying a marine grade made for use in boats and other out door
applications.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 12:26:49 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 7/2/2020 1:44 AM, Gigi wrote:
What is the best stain, oil, etc., to weather prod birch wood? We’re making
a table for our patio. Thanks!

None! The best stains are only temporary. If you want weather proof
consider a better wood choice, aluminum, or composite.

Aluminum gets pretty hot in the sun. Wood works better than composite
even, though it requires a lot more maintenance. Paint works. Painted
cherry always the best.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, July 2, 2020 at 2:44:03 AM UTC-4, Gigi wrote:
What is the best stain, oil, etc., to weather prod birch wood? Were making
a table for our patio. Thanks!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...od-824713-.htm

Why not use a naturally "weather-proof" wood like cypress? My mom had an outdoor shelf made of pine, I believe, that basically rotted away in a few years. I duplicated it and painted it and it's been outside for well on 15 years now with no sign of degradation. SS screws, T3 and cypress. Now that I think of it I think I used an exterior adirondack green stain first, but the color was off so I put adirondack green paint over the top.
JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 19:53:59 -0700 (PDT), Jay Pique
wrote:

On Thursday, July 2, 2020 at 2:44:03 AM UTC-4, Gigi wrote:
What is the best stain, oil, etc., to weather prod birch wood? Were making
a table for our patio. Thanks!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...od-824713-.htm

Why not use a naturally "weather-proof" wood like cypress? My mom had an outdoor shelf made of pine, I believe, that basically rotted away in a few years. I duplicated it and painted it and it's been outside for well on 15 years now with no sign of degradation. SS screws, T3 and cypress. Now that I think of it I think I used

an exterior adirondack green stain first, but the color was off so I put adirondack green paint over the top.

I was going to say that torrefied anything would be another option,
but it seems to all of a sudden be a fad in the guitar industry and
hard to find in sizes suitable for furniture at reasonable cost--it
used to be cheap.