Charlie Self

Default Price of wood reporting

For anyone who recalls the reporter who was asking about the price of wood for
an article, look in today's Wall St. Journal.

Inaccurate, interesting, makes me wonder why I didn't get a job writing that
kind of stuff a long time ago. Six email messages and four phone calls and
you've got your week's work done.

Charlie Self
"Inanimate objects are classified scientifically into three major categories -
those that don't work, those that break down and those that get lost." Russell
Baker
Swingman

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
For anyone who recalls the reporter who was asking about the price of wood

for
an article, look in today's Wall St. Journal.

Inaccurate, interesting, makes me wonder why I didn't get a job writing

that
kind of stuff a long time ago. Six email messages and four phone calls and
you've got your week's work done.

40 years ago, and the first time I read an article in which I'd been
interviewed, I flat ass couldn't believe the reporter and I had been on the
same planet .. it has gotten much worse since.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

Leon

"Swingman" wrote in message

40 years ago, and the first time I read an article in which I'd been
interviewed, I flat ass couldn't believe the reporter and I had been on

the
same planet .. it has gotten much worse since.

I have always heard that the news paper was written so that a 3rd grader
would understand it.
I think that a 3rd grader actually writes the articles.

patrick conroy

"Charlie Self" wrote in message

Charlie Self says "I'll take World Injustice for 200, Art!"

Inaccurate, interesting, makes me wonder why I didn't get a job writing

that
kind of stuff a long time ago.

Bzzzzt! "What is 'integrity'?"

Six email messages and four phone calls and
you've got your week's work done.

On the one hand, six and four more that William Randolph Hearst would have
done...
Jayson Blair, slide over!

jo4hn

Charlie Self wrote:
For anyone who recalls the reporter who was asking about the price of wood for
an article, look in today's Wall St. Journal.

Inaccurate, interesting, makes me wonder why I didn't get a job writing that
kind of stuff a long time ago. Six email messages and four phone calls and
you've got your week's work done.

Charlie Self
"Inanimate objects are classified scientifically into three major categories -
those that don't work, those that break down and those that get lost." Russell
Baker

Any chance you could post the article for those of us who are members of
the unwashed?
scruffy,
jo4hn

Tom Watson

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 14:35:53 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

40 years ago, and the first time I read an article in which I'd been
interviewed, I flat ass couldn't believe the reporter and I had been on the
same planet .. it has gotten much worse since.

Same thing happened to me. Guy spent an hour and a half on the phone
with me and when the article came out - I hadn't the slightest idea
who he was talking about.

It was a weird feeling.

Regards,
Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
Swingman

"jo4hn" wrote in message
Any chance you could post the article for those of us who are members of
the unwashed?
scruffy,

We know better now that we've seen what you look like. Not bad for an old
dude ... sir.

;)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

Charlie Self

jo4hn asks:

Charlie Self wrote:
For anyone who recalls the reporter who was asking about the price of wood

for
an article, look in today's Wall St. Journal.

Inaccurate, interesting, makes me wonder why I didn't get a job writing

that
kind of stuff a long time ago. Six email messages and four phone calls and
you've got your week's work done.

Charlie Self
"Inanimate objects are classified scientifically into three major

categories -
those that don't work, those that break down and those that get lost."

Russell
Baker

Any chance you could post the article for those of us who are members of
the unwashed?
scruffy,

I'd try, but it's an AOL link to WSJ so there's not much chance. I'm pretty
sure you can google up Wall St. Journal and get it that way.

Charlie Self
"Inanimate objects are classified scientifically into three major categories -
those that don't work, those that break down and those that get lost." Russell
Baker
Charlie Self

jo4hn asks:

Any chance you could post the article for those of us who are members of
the unwashed?

Disregard my earlier answer unless you're up to filling out a 4 page trial
subscription form.

Jeez. Hit the corner newsstand. They probably have a copy left over--if it
comes to your area. It doesn't, to mine, at least that I know of. I never have
enough money to need the WSJ.

Charlie Self
"Inanimate objects are classified scientifically into three major categories -
those that don't work, those that break down and those that get lost." Russell
Baker
Jay Pique

"Leon" wrote:

"Swingman" wrote in message

40 years ago, and the first time I read an article in which I'd been
interviewed, I flat ass couldn't believe the reporter and I had been on

the
same planet .. it has gotten much worse since.

I have always heard that the news paper was written so that a 3rd grader
would understand it.
I think that a 3rd grader actually writes the articles.

I believe the WSJ is written to the level of an 8th grader. Just read
it in "Growing A Business" by Paul Hawken (of Smith & Hawken). BTW,
it's an excellent book thus far.

JP
***********************
Meliora.

B a r r y

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 16:30:03 -0400, Tom Watson
wrote:

Same thing happened to me. Guy spent an hour and a half on the phone
with me and when the article came out - I hadn't the slightest idea
who he was talking about.

It was a weird feeling.

Was it Charlie for" Woodshop News"? G

Barry
Tom Watson

wrote:

Same thing happened to me. Guy spent an hour and a half on the phone
with me and when the article came out - I hadn't the slightest idea
who he was talking about.

It was a weird feeling.

Was it Charlie for" Woodshop News"? G

Nope. It was the theater reviewer for The Philadelphia Inquirer.

Musta been transferred there from the National Enquirer.

I think he's still around.

But I don't read him.

Gave the play a nice review.

But missed the whole point.

sigh...

Regards,
Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
John Grossbohlin

Re the WSJ article, is John Lucas amongst us???

Charlie Self

Barry asks:

Same thing happened to me. Guy spent an hour and a half on the phone
with me and when the article came out - I hadn't the slightest idea
who he was talking about.

It was a weird feeling.

Was it Charlie for" Woodshop News"? G

Not a chance. Tom and I have spent an hour and a half on the phone, but I don't
think Woodshop News would print much of it.

Besides, he's the one who took the photo of himself.

Charlie Self
"Inanimate objects are classified scientifically into three major categories -
those that don't work, those that break down and those that get lost." Russell
Baker
BobS

He usually is here offering good advice but I haven't seen any posts from
him as of late.

Bob S.

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message
Re the WSJ article, is John Lucas amongst us???

patrick conroy

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message
Re the WSJ article, is John Lucas amongst us???

John "How Does He Do That" L, is out trollin' for more babes, would me my
guess.
How does he do that? ;^)