Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Track saw question: to clamp or not to clamp

I'm not actually interested in making this desk, but I watched it long enough to see this builder use a track saw without clamps. Is this normal use? Since I bought mine recently (cordless Makita, thanks Mike), I've been careful to clamp, but if I don't need to, I can save time.

See 00:35 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN0j34WDlg4

Thanks!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, January 10, 2020 at 5:48:59 PM UTC-6, Michael wrote:
I'm not actually interested in making this desk, but I watched it long enough to see this builder use a track saw without clamps. Is this normal use? Since I bought mine recently (cordless Makita, thanks Mike), I've been careful to clamp, but if I don't need to, I can save time.

See 00:35 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN0j34WDlg4

Thanks!

I have heard and seen videos of people using the Festool track saw and NOT clamping the rail down. Not me. I always clamp the rail before using my Festool track saw. Maybe if you are cutting something where accuracy is not really that crucial (plywood roof decking), then not clamping is fine. But when I cut most stuff, I want it to be exact, down to the thousandth of a millimeter. Clamping assures that accuracy. No clamp and you can easily move the track on the wood. The rubber padding on the bottom of the track does not permanently stick the track to the wood.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/10/2020 5:48 PM, Michael wrote:
I'm not actually interested in making this desk, but I watched it long enough to see this builder use a track saw without clamps. Is this normal use? Since I bought mine recently (cordless Makita, thanks Mike), I've been careful to clamp, but if I don't need to, I can save time.

See 00:35 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN0j34WDlg4

Thanks!

I used clamps on my track saw tracks once or twice. For the past 10 or
so years I have NOT use any type of clamp to hold the track in place,
even on walnut and cherry plywood.

My tracks are Festool. I don't know if there is any appreciable
difference in the holding power of the rubber on either brand track.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/11/2020 12:18 AM, wrote:
[...]

Perhaps you need to clean the rubber on the bottom of the tracks. In
the past 10 years I have had no issue with not using clamps and the
accuracy is as good as my ICS Sawstop TS.

If the rubber gets dusty it will be less likely to hold as well as when
clean.