Posted to rec.woodworking

Default To clamp or not to clamp

I was wondering about this today while clamping up some MDF boxes...

Does anyone have any experience that clamping a joint while the glue
dries results in a stronger joint than not clamping. (Assuming the
parts fit fairly well and don't need clamping to bring them into
alignment.) I think I've always assumed that a clamped joint would
have more wood fibers in contact and produce a stronger joint.

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
I was wondering about this today while clamping up some MDF boxes...

Does anyone have any experience that clamping a joint while the glue
dries results in a stronger joint than not clamping. (Assuming the
parts fit fairly well and don't need clamping to bring them into
alignment.) I think I've always assumed that a clamped joint would
have more wood fibers in contact and produce a stronger joint.

Mike

I think your responses are going to very greatly depending on the joint in
question. Miter joint with no clamps? Forget about it!
Through dovetail joint with no clamps, sure probably ok. M&T joint, forget
about it! unless it is a really tight M&T. Half lap-joint? Forget about it!

Stoutman
---
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
I was wondering about this today while clamping up some MDF boxes...

Does anyone have any experience that clamping a joint while the glue
dries results in a stronger joint than not clamping. (Assuming the
parts fit fairly well and don't need clamping to bring them into
alignment.) I think I've always assumed that a clamped joint would
have more wood fibers in contact and produce a stronger joint.

Mike

Clamps are only used to hold the joint together and keep the pieces aligned
while the glue dries.
Masking tape is often used as a clamp. Stronger clamps aid in making ill
fir pieces, fit together.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I forgot to change the dam account name.