Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What did I do wrong.

I Got a new shotgun and didnt like the finish on it. Pretty cheap gun and it looked very plasticky. I sanded it all off and just used boiled linseed oil, its what I use on all my wood handled tools. The furniture is walnut, or so the manufacture says. The for grip turned an extremely dark color while the butt stayed light. First i dont know what I did to make such a difference in color and what can I do to darken the butt stock up that will let me continue to use BLO in the field?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, December 27, 2019 at 8:45:56 AM UTC-8, wrote:
I Got a new shotgun and didnt like the finish on it. Pretty cheap gun and it looked very plasticky. I sanded it all off and just used boiled linseed oil...

I like linseed oil for appearance, but for a good grip, I'd put some shellac over it. In fact,
I've been doing that every few years to shovel and rake handles, it doesn't last decades
but it IS a fine way to keep the woody parts maintained.