Posted to rec.woodworking
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default What did I do wrong.

On Fri, 27 Dec 2019 08:45:53 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I Got a new shotgun and didn’t like the finish on it. Pretty cheap gun and it looked very plasticky. I sanded it all off and just used boiled linseed oil, it’s what I use on all my wood handled tools. The furniture is walnut, or so the manufacture says. The for grip turned an extremely dark color while the butt stayed light. First i don’t know what I did to make such a difference in color and what can I do to darken the butt stock up that will let me continue to use BLO in the field?

Stain the wood first. IF it was all walnut part of it was sapwood
and the other part heartwood. By staing first with an oil based stain
you can make the 2 parts match before oiling??