Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Source Needed: Vinyl Covers For Wooden Window Sills

I'm looking for vinyl covers for wooden window trim, especially the sills.

I found a product on youtube and contacted the guy, but he said that he is
retiring and doesn't have enough stock for my project. He said that the
video will be taken down soon, so if this link doesn't work, use the image
link below it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcV5gwzk9k4

https://i.imgur.com/7xsSaJF.jpg

Basically, it's just pre-bent pieces of vinyl that you trim to fit. He said
that he has to buy his stock in "special order" quantities and would have to
order so much stock that he'd never be able to sell it before he retires. He
knows of no other source and I haven't found one yet.

It seems like there would be a market for this product. Does anyone know of
a source?

Thanks!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/30/2019 12:04 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I'm looking for vinyl covers for wooden window trim, especially the sills.

I found a product on youtube and contacted the guy, but he said that he is
retiring and doesn't have enough stock for my project. He said that the
video will be taken down soon, so if this link doesn't work, use the image
link below it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcV5gwzk9k4

https://i.imgur.com/7xsSaJF.jpg

Basically, it's just pre-bent pieces of vinyl that you trim to fit. He said
that he has to buy his stock in "special order" quantities and would have to
order so much stock that he'd never be able to sell it before he retires. He
knows of no other source and I haven't found one yet.

It seems like there would be a market for this product. Does anyone know of
a source?

Well, if he's retiring he shouldn't mind revealing where he's ordering
from for the root source.

I'd think any of the vinyl siding outfits that has shaping facilities of
their own could do it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, September 30, 2019 at 2:10:45 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
[...]

I'm not sure the name of the source would help.

In one email he said "The manufacturer made them specifically for me so when
I reorder I am required to a substantial amount because they have to set up
the equipment just for me."

In another email he followed that up with "I'm getting ready to retire and
it would take me 3 to 5 years to sell the inventory I am required to
purchase."

That tells me that either this stuff doesn't sell or he required to order
a boatload.

I'd think any of the vinyl siding outfits that has shaping facilities of
their own could do it.

I though that too until I went looking for vinyl casing for my garage door
opening a few months ago. I went to a couple of local contractor houses
(windows, doors, siding, etc.) and they had nothing. Everybody kept saying
that aluminum was my only option for wrap.

We don't park in the garage, so I was willing to give up 1.5" of opening
by fastening some 1 x 6 PVC plank to the faces of the wooden 2 x 6's and
then trimming the outside with a decorative PVC casing.

It came out nice, but I can't do anything like that with a window sill.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/30/2019 2:07 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, September 30, 2019 at 2:10:45 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 9/30/2019 12:04 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I'm looking for vinyl covers for wooden window trim, especially the sills.

I'm not sure the name of the source would help.

In one email he said "The manufacturer made them specifically for me so when
I reorder I am required to a substantial amount because they have to set up
the equipment just for me."

In another email he followed that up with "I'm getting ready to retire and
it would take me 3 to 5 years to sell the inventory I am required to
purchase."

That tells me that either this stuff doesn't sell or he required to order
a boatload.

Well, if you can't contact his source, you'll never know for sure, will
you? Maybe you pick up where he left off -- eBay would probably move 'em.

I'd think any of the vinyl siding outfits that has shaping facilities of
their own could do it.

I though that too until I went looking for vinyl casing for my garage door
opening a few months ago. I went to a couple of local contractor houses
(windows, doors, siding, etc.) and they had nothing. Everybody kept saying
that aluminum was my only option for wrap.

There's a siding outfit in Wichita that forms there own -- I'd talk to
somebody like that and see if they couldn't form for you or have another
option. Just a contractor reselling a product wouldn't necessarily expect.

Or, bend your own from aluminum, it really isn't that difficult but you
do need a bender--but for single wide they're not that expensive from HF.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOEXES8Y3jU

--

We don't park in the garage, so I was willing to give up 1.5" of opening
by fastening some 1 x 6 PVC plank to the faces of the wooden 2 x 6's and
then trimming the outside with a decorative PVC casing.

It came out nice, but I can't do anything like that with a window sill.

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:

There's a siding outfit in Wichita that forms there own -- I'd talk to
somebody like that and see if they couldn't form for you or have another
option. Just a contractor reselling a product wouldn't necessarily expect.

Or, bend your own from aluminum, it really isn't that difficult but you
do need a bender--but for single wide they're not that expensive from HF.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOEXES8Y3jU

Or maybe buy the sill & brickmould prebent?
http://www.trimbender.com/window-trim/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3FAsSKvYM4

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, October 1, 2019 at 9:12:24 AM UTC-4, Spalted Walt wrote:
dpb wrote:

There's a siding outfit in Wichita that forms there own -- I'd talk to
somebody like that and see if they couldn't form for you or have another
option. Just a contractor reselling a product wouldn't necessarily expect.

Or, bend your own from aluminum, it really isn't that difficult but you
do need a bender--but for single wide they're not that expensive from HF.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOEXES8Y3jU

Or maybe buy the sill & brickmould prebent?
http://www.trimbender.com/window-trim/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3FAsSKvYM4

I may have found a local window place that will bend a piece for me. The
sales-guy says that all of their trucks have brakes on them so they could
probably bend a piece while a truck was in the yard. He said to stop in
with the dimensions to get a price.

Trimbender has a maximum length of 94" and I think (I'm not home) that the
actual length of my sill is a full 8'. Rough estimate is $14 for a 94" piece,
$30 shipping.

I'll see how the local place prices it and take it from there.

Thanks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/30/2019 10:04 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I'm looking for vinyl covers for wooden window trim, especially the sills.

I found a product on youtube and contacted the guy, but he said that he is
retiring and doesn't have enough stock for my project. He said that the
video will be taken down soon, so if this link doesn't work, use the image
link below it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcV5gwzk9k4

https://i.imgur.com/7xsSaJF.jpg

Basically, it's just pre-bent pieces of vinyl that you trim to fit. He said
that he has to buy his stock in "special order" quantities and would have to
order so much stock that he'd never be able to sell it before he retires. He
knows of no other source and I haven't found one yet.

It seems like there would be a market for this product. Does anyone know of
a source?

Thanks!

I don't see why a simple plastic bender would not work to make bent
pieces. Lots of home made ones out there. Usually used to bend
polycarbonate or acrylic along a line. Basically a hinged base with a
hold down like a sheet metal break, but made out of cheap materials like
MDF. Then a nichrome wire as a heating element in a groove along the
bend line.

Might not be something to use for production, but it could do a single
project for you. Count on wasting a few pieces getting it dialed in.

Maybe vinyl sheet doesn't respond well to a process like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mVmzWQ7Iy8

I don't know, but it might be worth a try. That might not be the best
video. Its just the first of many that came up on You Tube when I typed
in plastic bender.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, October 1, 2019 at 10:49:48 AM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

Worth a try, but not worth the time. ;-)

Thanksgiving company coming. 5 rooms and a stairway to paint, landscaping to
finish, possible replacement of kitchen cabinet doors. If not, then 24 doors
to remove, sand, paint and replace. Probably ripping out the carpet this
weekend.

No time for a "This *might* work project" and all the trial and error it
will involve.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/1/2019 10:02 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Sounds like your alternative is to buy 100K pieces then.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/1/2019 12:02 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Thanksgiving company coming. 5 rooms and a stairway to paint, landscaping to
finish, possible replacement of kitchen cabinet doors. If not, then 24 doors
to remove, sand, paint and replace. Probably ripping out the carpet this
weekend.

I bet Turkey Day will come and go just fine whatever state of
repair/disrepair the house is in...

I'd worry more about doing it as will be satisfied with for the long
run/end result than the company seeing a partially-completed project.

Seriously, they're going to be inspecting the window sills? VBG

PS. We had the main line to the septic tank clog over T-giving week
while a house full a few years ago, and even that didn't cause more than
mild inconvenience for a day or two...it was, fortunately, not actually
on the Thursday in question itself.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, October 1, 2019 at 3:43:21 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 10/1/2019 12:02 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Thanksgiving company coming. 5 rooms and a stairway to paint, landscaping to
finish, possible replacement of kitchen cabinet doors. If not, then 24 doors
to remove, sand, paint and replace. Probably ripping out the carpet this
weekend.

I bet Turkey Day will come and go just fine whatever state of
repair/disrepair the house is in...

I'd worry more about doing it as will be satisfied with for the long
run/end result than the company seeing a partially-completed project.

Oh, I am doing it right, I'm just saying I don't have time to experiment
with a building a DIY vinyl bending jig right now, nor do I think that
that is even a project I want to take on - ever.

SWBMO is going away for a week, so I'm going to knock off a bunch of
painting and other stuff while she's gone. Shhh...don't tell her: About
10 minutes after she gets on the plane I'm ripping out the carpet. She'll
have to choose a new carpet when she gets back.

Seriously, they're going to be inspecting the window sills? VBG

Well, my son got his real estate licence last year (Vegas). He's always
telling me about (and sending me pictures of) some of the sh!t-holes he
comes across. Some of them are pretty bad.

He does a lot of stuff with his girlfriend's Dad. He helps Dad find
distressed condos in buildings where the nice ones are selling for big
bucks. Dad flips them and my son gets the listing. He keeps suggesting
that I retire, move out there and work with him and his other Dad flipping
condos.

Anyway, yes, he will notice the window sill. ;-)

PS. We had the main line to the septic tank clog over T-giving week
while a house full a few years ago, and even that didn't cause more than
mild inconvenience for a day or two...it was, fortunately, not actually
on the Thursday in question itself.

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:

[...]

In a former life I used to do that as a side line, but used aluminum.
If vinyl can be bent as easily it is a simple job. I'd make a template
of all the pieces needed and bend them up at home, they take them to the
house and install quickly.

Be sure to seal it so rain cannot get under it and rot any wood under
the sill.
Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:

[...]

Either you were really good with pliers or you had a brake at home. All I have is the pliers.

Be sure to seal it so rain cannot get under it and rot any wood under
the sill.

My kludge has kept them dry for a few years. That part I can handle.

I replaced all my windows and doors. Even fashioned some homemade brick moulding
of sorts when I replaced the kitchen casement with a slider. Vinyl is as easy to work with
as wood for that sort of thing with the added bonus of not *needing* to be painted, but leaving
that option available.

Unfortunately, just like wood, it doesn't easily bend at right angles.
Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I didn't think there was a vinyl that can be easily bent.
Aluminum was easy to work with. Bought 50' coils and cut to length and
trimmed on site.