Posted to rec.woodworking

Default how to unlock a locked Jorgensen clamp

replying to bob, Rabufs wrote:
Here is how to repair the clamps to keep them from locking shut. First unjam
them by loosening the screw handle, then using the screwdriver method between
the silver bar and the black heavy cast bar (square) to pry them apart. To
fix this from happening again, you have to fix the assembly error. In my
case, I had two clamps each assembled differently. In the mechanism you
should see a nylon spacer. My failing unit had the spacer between the below
the round silver bar. The spacer needs to be placed between the silver bar
and the square black cast piece. You just need to unscrew and remove the
stopper at the end of the clamp. Slide the clamp head off the end of the bar.
The nylon piece will likely fall out. Simply reinstall the clamp head with
the nylon piece inserted between the round silver bar and the black square
cast bar. This will prevent them from coming in contact with each other and
locking in place.... I'll attach a couple of photos if I can figure out
how...
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/il
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/im
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/in

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, September 4, 2019 at 1:49:31 PM UTC-4, Rabufs wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the repair tip. 13 years was a long time to wait but well
worth it.

Now I gotta ask:

Why are you repairing a clamp on your bed?
Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to DerbyDad03, Rabufs wrote:
Actually it was closer to sixteen years but who's counting.... I only had a
problem with the clamp in that it was so jammed that I resorted to googling
how to unjam it. When I came across this thread, it thankfully helped me to
unjam it but the consensus seemed to be there was no "fix". Since I was
staring at the mechanism to unjam it, I happened to notice my good clamp was
arranged differently.... I thought I would just share the fix in case anyone
else could use it, even though it was 16 years later... LOL... Now what
looks like a bed is actually our couch. Thanks for commenting and I'd be
curious (if you still have those old clamps) to know if your clamps do have
the nylon spacer in the wrong spot....

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...mp-161974-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/4/2019 9:44 PM, Rabufs wrote:
replying to DerbyDad03, Rabufs wrote:
Actually it was closer to sixteen years but who's counting....

DerbyDad is. ;~)

Â* I only
had a
problem with the clamp in that it was so jammed that I resorted to googling
how to unjam it.Â* When I came across this thread, it thankfully helped
me to
unjam it but the consensus seemed to be there was no "fix".Â* Since I was
staring at the mechanism to unjam it, I happened to notice my good clamp
was
arranged differently....Â* I thought I would just share the fix in case
anyone
else could use it, even though it was 16 years later... LOL...Â*Â* Now what
looks like a bed is actually our couch.Â*Â* Thanks for commenting and I'd be
curious (if you still have those old clamps) to know if your clamps do have
the nylon spacer in the wrong spot....Â*Â*

Posted to rec.woodworking

I was having this issue and this thread helped me to get the unstuck by slamming them against the floor. Once I got them unstuck, I sprayed Glide Cote on them, and they no longer stick. Will see how long that last.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...mp-161974-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

aware, "Bob" wrote the missive you're referring to in October, 2003.
I think he may have figured it out by now ;-)

I suggest you inspect the placement of the white nylon spacer. There were some assembly errors. As per the post above, I removed and reinstalled the spacer (under 1 minute max) and the clamp no longer jams...

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...mp-161974-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/26/2021 5:15 PM, Paul wrote:
I was having this issue and this thread helped me to get the unstuck by
slamming them against the floor. Once I got them unstuck, I sprayed
Glide Cote on them, and they no longer stick. Will see how long that last.

Mine only stick if I let them slam shut. Don't let them slide/slam shut
on their own.

And keep the screw handle mid point in the travel so that you can loosen.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 12:01:00 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 4/26/2021 5:15 PM, Paul wrote:
I was having this issue and this thread helped me to get the unstuck by
slamming them against the floor. Once I got them unstuck, I sprayed
Glide Cote on them, and they no longer stick. Will see how long that last.

Mine only stick if I let them slam shut. Don't let them slide/slam shut
on their own.

And keep the screw handle mid point in the travel so that you can loosen.

The same basic rule applies to gate style water shutoffs. Open them fully,
and then close them by at least a 1/8 turn. Leave yourself a little wiggle room
in case the innards get corroded and it won't turn towards close.