Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Jorgensen ISD 12 Inch Bar Clamp

Price:$27.39
Image: http://thediscounfinder.info/image.php?id=B0009OW3WA
Best deal: http://thediscounfinder.info/index.php?id=B0009OW3WA

I bought some Jorgensen ISD clamps because they were billed as having most of the clamping power of a conventional bar clamp. While they certainly have a lot of grip, I suggest you select something else.The no-mar pads have a tendency to slip off the heads, a small frustration that becomes increasingly nagging as it happens time-and-time again.This is a reversible clamp. To convert from clamping to spreading, you unscrew a knob to release the fixed head, move the head to the other end of the bar, and screw the knob back in place. This knob has a tendency to loosen in use unless you torque it down frequently. That might not be too bad, but the nut that receives the knob's screw isn't captive in the body of the clamp. Everytime the thing comes appart, the nut falls out. Working in the attic, I had a lost nut disappear entirely somewhere in a vast quantity of blown-in insulation. Yes, I know nuts are easily available, but should I really have to worry about this at all? Even if I don't lose the nut, it's a nuisance to have the clamp falling apart when I'm managing a glue-up.This is the only clamp design I'm aware of that uses a screw to secure the reversible head, probably an indication that it's a bad approach. Check out the Irwin one-hand clamps, which use a sliding clip to lock the reversible head. Also, see my review of the Bessey DuoKlamp for a product that I think is superior to the Jorgensen's.
These great clamps were purchased for my husband. He loves them-thinks they are great. They work better than his Quick Grips clamps. He especially likes the feature of the button release on the Jorgensen clamps, as opposed to the release clip on the Quick Grips. The release is easy to use and his hand doesn't get pinched as it does with his Quick Grips. He would definitely purchase these clamps again.
I purchased 2 Jorgensen 12" and 2-18" clamps after wrestling with ones my husband had...too big, too small, too heavy for what I was making, etc. We had a set of Columbian clamps with the twistie-handle and various Irwin and Quick-Grip clamps similar to the Jorgensen's. I guess I'm not coordinated enough to operate the twistie-handle kind of clamps since I was constantly turning the handle the wrong direction and always loosening when I needed tightening...and they were really heavy and bulky for something like the bluebird houses I was building. Using the Irwins and Quick-Grips when I could, I pinched my fingers in the little metal release clip. So I got these Jorgensens since the size was what I needed, and the price was a little cheaper than the Irwins. WOW!--they are MUCH beefier and feel much more solid than the Irwins or Quick-Grips I had been using, and there's NO pinchie release clip either! Instead there is a square button release where you'd normally grab the metal tab--much easier (and safer for a clutz like me!) The squeezie action to close them is fast enough and smooth enough, and they just don't feel as flimsy as the others--and I liked the others fine, but after using these, I will stick with Jorgensen's in the future. Nice tight grip, perfect inbetween size, and really nice sturdy feel--not too heavy and not too light, just right! I haven't used them as a spreader bar yet but was able to make the change easy enough to play with it. I love my new toys!!! I will definitely go with Jorgensens again when I need other sizes for the projects on my list.
The Jorgensen ISD bar clamp I got from Amazon is well-made. I don't have a way to check out Jorgensen's claim of 40% more clamping force than the competition, but they do seem to have very strong clamping action. The steel mechanism that holds the clamp tight looks robust---much better than the no-name cheap clamps I've bought before. I had thought that clamps would be a good place to buy cheapies and save money for tools that need precision or safety features, but these clamps aren't so much more expensive than the cheapies, and they're a lot more pleasant to use. I plan to buy more in the future.
These are excellent bar clamps at a great price. I've used many different bar clamps and these are my favorite. I want to warn you about one small thing....be prepared to spend some time scraping the bar code labels off- like an hour. I wore out both thumbnails and a razor blade just trying to removed them. I don't know who puts these additional bar code labels on but I sure would like to have a close-up conversations with them!
* Dual durometer handle for comfort * 10-40% more clamping force than market * 12" bar clamp

SIMILAR PRODUCTS:

Jorgensen ISD 6 Inch Bar Clamp:http://thediscounfinder.info/index.php?id=B0009WG5U8
Pony ISD 4 Inch Hand Clamp:http://thediscounfinder.info/index.php?id=B0009WG5V2
Jorgensen ISD 18 Inch Bar Clamp:http://thediscounfinder.info/index.php?id=B0009OU67O