Old June 12th 19, 01:34 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Constant shop vac filter clog

I'm tired of the sawdust induced filter in my shop vac and decided it's
time to get a better filter, which I assume there isn't anything to stop
sawdust clogging, or make a cyclone separator. Thus, anyone have any
suggestions for a filter or easy plans for a cyclone separator?

Old June 12th 19, 01:45 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 20:34:38 -0400, Meanie wrote:

I'm tired of the sawdust induced filter in my shop vac and decided it's
time to get a better filter, which I assume there isn't anything to stop
sawdust clogging, or make a cyclone separator. Thus, anyone have any
suggestions for a filter or easy plans for a cyclone separator?

If you want something reasonably priced that works with a shop vac,
https://www.clearvuecyclones.com/10-cv06-mini.

If you really want to roll your own,
http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/
Old June 12th 19, 02:13 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/11/2019 8:34 PM, Meanie wrote:
I'm tired of the sawdust induced filter in my shop vac and decided it's
time to get a better filter, which I assume there isn't anything to stop
sawdust clogging, or make a cyclone separator. Thus, anyone have any
suggestions for a filter or easy plans for a cyclone separator?

I just use these expensive paper bags in my Fein to collect the big stuff
and their HEPA filter to keep anything escaping (plaster dust, for example)
from blowing through and have no problem with clogging. You don't say what
sort of filtration your vac has. Maybe that is the basis of the problem.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old June 12th 19, 02:17 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, June 11, 2019 at 8:45:43 PM UTC-4, J. Clarke wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 20:34:38 -0400, Meanie wrote:

I'm tired of the sawdust induced filter in my shop vac and decided it's
time to get a better filter, which I assume there isn't anything to stop
sawdust clogging, or make a cyclone separator. Thus, anyone have any
suggestions for a filter or easy plans for a cyclone separator?

If you want something reasonably priced that works with a shop vac,
https://www.clearvuecyclones.com/10-cv06-mini.

If you really want to roll your own,
http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/

I use a Dust Deputy:

https://www.amazon.com/Oneida-Molded.../dp/B002JP315K

I bought a 5 gallon bucket from my local Grainger store. They carry a model
that is thicker than the Home Depot/Lowes buckets. My Ridgid vac could
crush the Depot/Lowes buckets.

Not a spec of saw dust ends up in the vac.
Old June 12th 19, 02:47 AM posted to rec.woodworking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w8jXS8Fjh8

Old June 12th 19, 03:25 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/11/2019 9:13 PM, John McGaw wrote:
On 6/11/2019 8:34 PM, Meanie wrote:
I'm tired of the sawdust induced filter in my shop vac and decided
it's time to get a better filter, which I assume there isn't anything
to stop sawdust clogging, or make a cyclone separator. Thus, anyone
have any suggestions for a filter or easy plans for a cyclone separator?

I just use these expensive paper bags in my Fein to collect the big
stuff and their HEPA filter to keep anything escaping (plaster dust, for
example) from blowing through and have no problem with clogging. You
don't say what sort of filtration your vac has. Maybe that is the basis
of the problem.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How are you using the paper bag in a shop vac? I'm still using the
original paper filter that came with the vac.

I do have a dust collection system for my bigger tools but use the shop
vac for smaller hand tools and of course to clean the shop mess.
Old June 12th 19, 03:35 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 20:34:38 -0400, Meanie wrote:

I'm tired of the sawdust induced filter in my shop vac and decided it's
time to get a better filter, which I assume there isn't anything to stop
sawdust clogging, or make a cyclone separator. Thus, anyone have any
suggestions for a filter or easy plans for a cyclone separator?

I use a DustDeputy for my shop vac and a garbage can (lid) separator
for a 2HP dust collector. Both work very well.
Old June 12th 19, 03:43 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, June 11, 2019 at 9:47:34 PM UTC-4, Spalted Walt wrote:
Meanie wrote:

I'm tired of the sawdust induced filter in my shop vac and decided it's
time to get a better filter, which I assume there isn't anything to stop
sawdust clogging, or make a cyclone separator. Thus, anyone have any
suggestions for a filter or easy plans for a cyclone separator?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w8jXS8Fjh8

I'd like to see what happens when the hose end gets stopped up and all
the force hits those connections. Having seen how much a wet-dry vac
can distort those 5 gallon buckets, I wouldn't expect too much longevity
with that set-up.
Old June 12th 19, 01:01 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Meanie wrote:

I'm tired of the sawdust induced filter in my shop vac and decided it's
time to get a better filter, which I assume there isn't anything to stop
sawdust clogging, or make a cyclone separator. Thus, anyone have any
suggestions for a filter or easy plans for a cyclone separator?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w8jXS8Fjh8

I'd like to see what happens when the hose end gets stopped up and all
the force hits those connections. Having seen how much a wet-dry vac
can distort those 5 gallon buckets, I wouldn't expect too much longevity
with that set-up.

I would use larger fittings for this project not only to ease the flow
but the larger shop vacs have 2" hoses. I assume he made it to fit a
smaller vac which he uses.

Dynabrade sanders - non vac, self vac, or external vac? Steve Turner Woodworking 2 March 27th 07 03:33 PM
Shop-Vac filter bags Jim Home Repair 9 October 24th 05 07:49 PM
big shop vac for central vac habbi Metalworking 12 March 1st 05 02:25 AM
Shop vac. filter cover, source needed Over40pirate Woodworking 2 February 5th 05 06:52 AM
Shop Vac or Shop Pro ? Daniel Martin Woodworking 5 November 7th 03 10:20 PM