Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dynabrade sanders - non vac, self vac, or external vac?

I'm just about sick of messing with electric random orbital sanders and
I'm in the market for one of the air powered Dynabrade 5" PSA sanders
(yes, I have plenty of compressor power to handle one). I'm thinking of
going with the "Spirit" model rather than the "Supreme" since they are
about 1/2 pound lighter. The only thing I can't decide is what type of
vacuum system (if any) to get. A buddy of mine has one and he mentioned
in passing that he wouldn't mess with the vacuum model (I need to quiz
him further about this) and I can see how it might get in the way, but I
REALLY don't like the idea of kicking up a bunch of dust and a downdraft
table isn't really an option for me. I have a good shopvac I can use
with the sander, but I'm wondering how well the "self vac" versions
work. Can anybody give me a review of the various options? Thanks.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve

I have a couple of the 'self vac' Dynabrade 5", and they work great. The
hose doesn't seem to get in my way.
And yes, once you use a Dynabrade, you will never go back to an electric
sander.

Tom Plamann

"Steve Turner" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Plamann wrote:
Steve

I have a couple of the 'self vac' Dynabrade 5", and they work great. The
hose doesn't seem to get in my way.
And yes, once you use a Dynabrade, you will never go back to an electric
sander.

Tom Plamann

Well hot dang, if it's good enough for Tom Plamann then I'm sure it'll
be good enough for me! :-)

I don't really relish the idea of lugging along the shop vac every time
I want to fire up the sander, and that self vac system looks nice and
lightweight. I guess I was wondering if that system might rob any
appreciable amount of air or horse power from the main task at hand, but
you didn't mention that so perhaps not.

Have you tried both the "Spirit" and "Supreme" models and can you
comment on the weight difference? Some of the stuff I do has me
standing on my head and reaching up and around at crazy angles, and the
weight of those electric sanders is a killer.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

Follow up on 220 VAC condenser fan at 110 VAC [email protected] Home Repair 0 October 27th 06 01:36 AM
220 VAC A/C condenser fan motor at 120 VAC? [email protected] Woodworking 7 October 9th 06 03:10 PM
220 VAC A/C condenser fan motor at 120 VAC [email protected] Home Repair 3 October 8th 06 12:16 PM
Shop Vac buffalobill Home Repair 0 February 12th 06 10:42 AM
big shop vac for central vac habbi Metalworking 12 March 1st 05 02:25 AM