Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Building a kiln

No luck finding a local kiln so I have decided to build a dehumidifier kiln that will reside in my basement shop. In essence, it will be a 2x2x8 box of 1/2 inch osb board with a fan on one end and the dehumidifier on the other. Question about heat source: will a small ceramic heater be sufficient? I also will get a thermostat device to control the temperature. What temp should I shoot for during initial drying (want to kill any remaining critters). I want to avoid checking and will seal the ends.

As always, your good counsel is appreciated!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/12/2019 5:51 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
No luck finding a local kiln so I have decided to build a dehumidifier kiln that will reside in my basement shop. In essence, it will be a 2x2x8 box of 1/2 inch osb board with a fan on one end and the dehumidifier on the other. Question about heat source: will a small ceramic heater be sufficient? I also will get a thermostat device to control the temperature. What temp should I shoot for during initial drying (want to kill any remaining critters). I want to avoid checking and will seal the ends.

I've seen a pretty good explaination on the US FPL site, altho I don't
seem to have a bookmarked link; or, iirc, Hoadley's book has a section
as well...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 6:51:53 PM UTC-4, Gramps' shop wrote:
No luck finding a local kiln so I have decided to build a dehumidifier kiln that will reside in my basement shop. In essence, it will be a 2x2x8 box of 1/2 inch osb board with a fan on one end and the dehumidifier on the other. Question about heat source: will a small ceramic heater be sufficient? I also will get a thermostat device to control the temperature. What temp should I shoot for during initial drying (want to kill any remaining critters). I want to avoid checking and will seal the ends.

As always, your good counsel is appreciated!

This might help...

http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=84835.0

Interesting points on "casehardening" if the kiln is run for too long of
a straight stretch. That topic is also covered here, with diagrams:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/treesearch/pubs/35061
Posted to rec.woodworking

Gramps' shop wrote:

No luck finding a local kiln so I have decided to build a dehumidifier kiln that will reside in my basement shop. In essence, it will be a 2x2x8 box of 1/2 inch osb board with a fan on one end and the dehumidifier on the other. Question about heat source: will a small ceramic heater be sufficient? I also will get a thermostat device to control the temperature. What temp should I shoot for during initial drying (want to kill any remaining critters). I want to avoid checking and will seal the ends.

As always, your good counsel is appreciated!

Drying Wood with Dehumidifier Wood Kiln
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF8vCwsHp1g

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 3:51:53 PM UTC-7, Gramps' shop wrote:
No luck finding a local kiln so I have decided to build a dehumidifier kiln that will reside in my basement shop.

Wow! Kilns don't usually live indoors, unless you are doing small boards?

This book (available in .pdf online)

https://www.srs.fs.usda.gov/pubs/37440

discusses kiln drying, chapter 13 should be informative.
Looks like you'd need to tend/readjust the gizmo twice a day
for a week.

The final step (highest temperature) kills off bugs and such... 180 Fahrenheit.

If you start with air-drying the kiln finishing might be quicker.

Anybody need a big kiln? A BIG kiln... Phil Kangas[_4_] Woodworking 0 August 25th 14 12:12 AM
Anybody need a big kiln? A BIG kiln... Gunner Asch[_6_] Metalworking 7 August 24th 14 11:13 PM
Home made heat treating oven kiln: how to & Merry Xmas ! rashid111 Metalworking 8 January 1st 05 09:23 PM
Trinkit kiln John Wilson Metalworking 2 June 3rd 04 05:55 PM
How to make a vacuum kiln in 20 screwups or less. Steve Knight Woodworking 3 July 26th 03 07:12 AM