Posted to rec.woodworking
Spalted Walt Spalted Walt is offline

Default Building a kiln

Gramps' shop wrote:

No luck finding a local kiln so I have decided to build a dehumidifier kiln that will reside in my basement shop. In essence, it will be a 2x2x8 box of 1/2 inch osb board with a fan on one end and the dehumidifier on the other. Question about heat source: will a small ceramic heater be sufficient? I also will get a thermostat device to control the temperature. What temp should I shoot for during initial drying (want to kill any remaining critters). I want to avoid checking and will seal the ends.

As always, your good counsel is appreciated!

Drying Wood with Dehumidifier Wood Kiln
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF8vCwsHp1g