Posted to rec.woodworking

Default PEX For Shop Air Lines?

Water lines is right - and that is 70psi max. The Plex has to be somewhat
stronger than 70 to allow for temp changes. Shops can get very hot if
closed.
If you open up and start using - you might have hoses being blown.

Martin

On 12/27/2018 8:25 AM, Jack wrote:
On 12/26/2018 10:42 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
My son bought me a 50' retractable air hose for Christmas. I plan to
hang it
in my attached garage where it will get the most use. However, I also
use my
portable air compressor in my shop, which is in the basement.

I've been reading and watching videos about using PEX as air lines in
home
workshops and even in some commercial settings. If I ran PEX from the
garage
to the shop, I could leave the compressor in the garage and have easy
access
to air (and more room) in the (small) shop.

The only downside that I heard mentioned was moisture collecting in
the PEX.

Is this something that I really need to be concerned with? If moisture is
really an issue in PEX, isn't it an issue in the retractable hose
also? In
*any* hose in fact?

If it is an issue, would clearing the line by attaching an air gun nozzle
before using a nail gun eliminate any moisture concerns?

Isn't PEX used in water lines?Â* Water is only an issue for your tools,
which generally require a few drops of oil to keep running, and prevent
rust.Â* Painting obviously requires an oil and water free environment.
Virtually everyone that paints and has a larger, non portable compressor
Â*has an oil/water separator in the line.Â* They are cheap, so no reason
at all not to get one. You need a pressure regulator anyway, so get one
with a filter on it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 10:27:31 PM UTC-5, Martin Eastburn wrote:
Water lines is right - and that is 70psi max.

Water lines often have pressures that are higher than 70 psi. *Fixtures*
might not like sustained pressure that are higher than 70, but both copper
and PEX can handle much, much higher than that.

I have copper and PEX lines in my house that are at street pressure, which
is usually around 90-95 psi. They are for the front and back hose bibs. The
copper to the front hose bib has been there for 60+ years. I tee'd in the
PEX for the back hose bib about 30 years ago.

SWMBO was very happy to have street pressure for both her front and back
gardens.

The Plex has to be somewhat stronger than 70 to allow for temp changes.

"Somewhat" strong? Look up the specs for PEX. Heck, at 200°F, it's still
rated higher than 70 psi.

Shops can get very hot if closed.
If you open up and start using - you might have hoses being blown.

Not my shop. If my shop ever gets hot enough for PEX not to handle
90 psi air, please call 911 'cuz the place must be on fire.

PEX PEX PEX No Name Home Repair 39 June 15th 09 03:27 PM
PEX PEX PEX gwandsh Home Repair 0 June 12th 09 07:05 PM
air in new pex water lines Gary Home Repair 9 March 20th 09 08:31 PM
Somebody asked about PEX for air lines Pat Barber Woodworking 0 August 7th 08 05:21 PM
Brass Compression Fittings,Fittings for Pex-Al-Pex good price valvetom Home Repair 1 November 27th 06 07:20 PM