Posted to alt.home.repair

Default PEX PEX PEX

On Jun 10, 10:16*am, JIMMIE wrote:
On Jun 10, 11:42*am, "BetaB4" wrote:

JIMMIE wrote:

I just finished a home that someone else started and had to back out.
I did the basement in copper and transistioned to *PEX from there. The
PEX leaves the basement from 3 places making the runs of PEX
relatively short. I transistioned back to Cu at the terminal point
because I dont like floppy cutoff valves. I had also come by a lot of
bits pieces of Cu I wante to use up.

I am just curious..., which brand or type of PEX and fittings did you
use? -- especially for the transitions to and from copper. *I may be doing
something similar soon where I will be running new PEX lines in a basement
that will then connect to existing copper lines that go up to the fixtures
etc. *I'm considering either the Uponor/Wirsbo expansion PEX fittings or
Viega brand (I think that's what it is called now) and either a cromping
system or a clamping system.

I am also trying to figure out what to use to connect the PEX to the
existing copper.

Thanks.

Sorry I made it sound like I actually did the plumbing. I didnt
realise that until I reread my own post.I bought a house that was
partially finished and had the work done. This mixed Cu PEX scheme had
already been started before I bought the unfinished house. The only
change I wanted was for the PEX to terminate in copper. I hate floppy
mounted cutoff valves at the toilets and sinks. Im not sure what type
connections were used but they were not crimp on metal. Its the kind
where the tubing is stretched and then slipped over a barbed
connector. Sorry but I dont know the trade names.Plan is to put it on
the market but my wife is talking about moving into it and selling our
current home.. Financially either plan would work out about the same.

Jimmie- Hide quoted text -

Interesting point. In my simple installation, I used the Wirsbo
supplied connectors to transition from PEX to copper for some existing
plumbing I had behind my shower wall.

As for floppy cut-off valves, all mine were wall or stud mounted,
probably more solid than my door frames ;-). Then again, I had the
advantage of being able to do most of this work in an unfinished area.

The crimping style tool was suggested to me over the expander tool as
being more user friendly for a newbie. The fact that a badly crimped
collar can be easily removed with no damage to the pipe or connector
was important. For connections to valves, etc, I added a second
collar (loose) on the Pex piping, so if the original had a problem I
could snip it and slide the other down the pipe to replace it. This
came in handy twice for connections that were poor due to my
inexperience.