Posted to rec.woodworking

Default PEX For Shop Air Lines?

Water lines is right - and that is 70psi max. The Plex has to be somewhat
stronger than 70 to allow for temp changes. Shops can get very hot if
closed.
If you open up and start using - you might have hoses being blown.

Martin

On 12/27/2018 8:25 AM, Jack wrote:
On 12/26/2018 10:42 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
My son bought me a 50' retractable air hose for Christmas. I plan to
hang it
in my attached garage where it will get the most use. However, I also
use my
portable air compressor in my shop, which is in the basement.

I've been reading and watching videos about using PEX as air lines in
home
workshops and even in some commercial settings. If I ran PEX from the
garage
to the shop, I could leave the compressor in the garage and have easy
access
to air (and more room) in the (small) shop.

The only downside that I heard mentioned was moisture collecting in
the PEX.

Is this something that I really need to be concerned with? If moisture is
really an issue in PEX, isn't it an issue in the retractable hose
also? In
*any* hose in fact?

If it is an issue, would clearing the line by attaching an air gun nozzle
before using a nail gun eliminate any moisture concerns?

Isn't PEX used in water lines?Â* Water is only an issue for your tools,
which generally require a few drops of oil to keep running, and prevent
rust.Â* Painting obviously requires an oil and water free environment.
Virtually everyone that paints and has a larger, non portable compressor
Â*has an oil/water separator in the line.Â* They are cheap, so no reason
at all not to get one. You need a pressure regulator anyway, so get one
with a filter on it.