Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sanding Down Epoxy Gloss Coat

I recently applied one coat of an Epoxy High Gloss coat to a floating kitchen island. I had just enough to cover the top so, instead of letting it pour over for smooth edges, I lined all the edges with painters tape. Got it as level as possible, but there are still edges that slope upward and, with the tape removed, have created a sharp edge that I would like to round out and smooth down.

I was thinking just sanding it down, but am looking for any advice I can get. After the corners are smooth I want them to be shiny again so please let me know where you think I should go from here, thanks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 2:26:18 PM UTC-6, wrote:
I recently applied one coat of an Epoxy High Gloss coat to a floating kitchen island. I had just enough to cover the top so, instead of letting it pour over for smooth edges, I lined all the edges with painters tape. Got it as level as possible, but there are still edges that slope upward and, with the tape removed, have created a sharp edge that I would like to round out and smooth down.

I was thinking just sanding it down, but am looking for any advice I can get. After the corners are smooth I want them to be shiny again so please let me know where you think I should go from here, thanks.

Here is a thought:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpUBzF0LSnM
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 16:58:36 -0700, Just Wondering wrote:

On 1/22/2019 1:26 PM, wrote:

I recently applied one coat of an Epoxy High Gloss coat to a floating kitchen island. I had just enough to cover the top so, instead of letting it pour over for smooth edges, I lined all the edges with painters tape. Got it as level as possible, but there are still edges that slope upward and, with the tape removed, have created a sharp edge that I would like to round out and smooth down.

I was thinking just sanding it down, but am looking for any advice I can get. After the corners are smooth I want them to be shiny again so please let me know where you think I should go from here, thanks.

Use wet-or-dry paper, this sort of stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/Sandpaper-Fur... 2C179&sr=8-5

Knock off the sloped edges with 220 grit paper, then go over
the sanded part with increasingly finer grits. Use water with
the paper. By about 800 to 1200 grit, your edges should be shiny again.

If they're not, go to MicroMesh.
https://www.amazon.com/stores/node/3035508011?_encoding=UTF8&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Micro-Mesh&ref_=bl_dp_s_web_3035508011

If that doesn't get it shiny enough go after it with some Meguiars'
M205 using a DFP5 pad and a random orbital sander turned as slow as
you can (or if you have a real double-action car polisher go with the
DFP6 pad, but if you have one of those you probably don't need my
advice on getting things shiny). Note that this will if done right
take things pretty close to a "show car" shine. You can wax it after
that.