Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sanding and top coat epoxy resin

I made a large dining table for my wife. I have two coats of epoxy on it now. Some of the wood soaked up more resin and has waves in it. Question is; can I sand the resin and add top coat? Will it still be Crystal clear after?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, April 17, 2017 at 10:08:11 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I made a large dining table for my wife. I have two coats of epoxy on it now. Some of the wood soaked up more resin and has waves in it. Question is; can I sand the resin and add top coat? Will it still be Crystal clear after?

Please take my word on this. Rather than to guess, ask others to guess, ask people you don't know to speculate on a solution, call the consumer hotline (or professional hotline) number on the can or on the manufacturer's website.

I apply all kinds of finishes and they are all different. For example, I use one kind of enamel that requires a second coat after two hours but before five. Before two, the finish outgasses and causes bubble and wrinkles. After five, and they require a 21 day cure time to start over.

The point being some finishes require special care to get it right.

IMO, if you are talking about bar top finish instead of a urethane epoxy finish, you are probably screwed. Call the manufacturer for guidance as soon as you can.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, April 17, 2017 at 10:08:11 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I made a large dining table for my wife.

Other than re the question you ask, show us a pic of your table. We like to view folks' good work, as well.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
I made a large dining table for my wife. I have two coats of epoxy on it
now. Some of the wood soaked up more resin and has waves in it. Question
is; can I sand the resin and add top coat? Will it still be Crystal clear
after?

Yes. However, before sanding/recoating, wash it well to remove any amine
blush. You could also sand and polish rather than pour more.

Sanding/buffing/polishing epoxy clear coat top blueman Woodworking 12 April 22nd 18 04:11 PM
Sanding 2 Part Epoxy Resin [email protected] Woodworking 18 November 24th 16 03:30 AM
Fun with epoxy resin Matty F UK diy 32 March 15th 09 05:40 AM
Epoxy Resin [email protected] UK diy 27 February 24th 09 08:52 PM
Epoxy Resin Dyes Zen83237 UK diy 8 February 29th 08 08:55 AM