Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sanding and top coat epoxy resin

On Monday, April 17, 2017 at 10:08:11 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I made a large dining table for my wife. I have two coats of epoxy on it now. Some of the wood soaked up more resin and has waves in it. Question is; can I sand the resin and add top coat? Will it still be Crystal clear after?

Please take my word on this. Rather than to guess, ask others to guess, ask people you don't know to speculate on a solution, call the consumer hotline (or professional hotline) number on the can or on the manufacturer's website.

I apply all kinds of finishes and they are all different. For example, I use one kind of enamel that requires a second coat after two hours but before five. Before two, the finish outgasses and causes bubble and wrinkles. After five, and they require a 21 day cure time to start over.

The point being some finishes require special care to get it right.

IMO, if you are talking about bar top finish instead of a urethane epoxy finish, you are probably screwed. Call the manufacturer for guidance as soon as you can.

Robert