Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Actual Woodworking

So in the interest of actually displaying some woodworking... ;~)
My wife and I visited North Canton Ohio for Thanksgiving. We were
hosted by our new other half in-laws. In particular our daughter
in-laws parents.
We visited the Warther Museum in Dover, Ohio.

The museum was dedicated to a shockingly talented wood worker. A bit of
history first. Immediately after the civil war the soldiers were
relieved of duty and free to go home. Unfortunately there was no free
transportation and the soldiers were on their own, often dead broke, to
get back home. They moved in droves from town to town on their
journey's. Locals referred to these soldiers as "Home Bound", Ho-Bo for
short. During the great depression the word Ho-Bo took on a different
meaning.
At a young age Ernest "Mooney" Warther became friends with one of the
Ho-Bo's. His new friend showed Mooney how to cut working wooden pair of
pliers out of a single piece of wood. Mooney was fascinated and worked
on the skill so that he too could accomplish this task. The pliers are
cut with a carving knife and there is no waste, shavings, or saw dust.
Mooney later developed a special carving knife with interchangeable
blades. Not being satisfied with a single pair of pliers from a single
piece of wood he ended up caving a pliers tree. I forget how many
perfect cuts and or how many pliers are made from this single piece of
wood but it is astonishing. No one has been able to duplicate it.
FWIW Mooney only had a second grade education so there were no advanced
math skills from his education.

This picture shows the pliers tree and if you look at the bottom right
corner you see a sample of the chunk of wood that the tree was made
from. The block of wood looks a bit like a missile.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

A closer look. Click the picture to zoom in. Remember, no waste from
any of the cuts.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

Moving on Mooney developed a fascination with locomotives. The
following links are to the trains he carved. The wood used was walnut
and ebony. Early on the white pieces were made from bleached soup
bones. Later on he replaced the bone parts with ivory. Very little
glue was used as glue back then had a short life. Most all are
functional and snap together. Many of the train models wheels and drive
lines were actually moving when I took the pictures. Scale is perfect.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

A model of the train that carried Lincoln to his burial site.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

Other shots.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwT3HVp5Klk

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/8/2018 11:30 AM, Leon wrote:
So in the interest of actually displaying some woodworking...Â* ;~)
My wife and I visited North Canton Ohio for Thanksgiving.Â* We were hosted
by our new other half in-laws.Â* In particular our daughter in-laws parents.
We visited the Warther Museum in Dover, Ohio.

snip...

I still have one of the little signed wooden pliers that (used to?) come
along with the tour I took years ago. I also use one of the pretty little
hand-made 3" paring knives from their shop.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

[...]

I noticed minature nut head detail and flanges on the wheels. That dude
went all out! I couldn't see it well enough to see if he got the flange
profile details right... but that would be quite a nit pick!

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/8/2018 2:31 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
[...]

This guy was offered a fortune, way back when, to sell one of the models
to the railroad, IIRC $50,000, plus $5,000 per year to tour and tell
about the model. He turned the offer down to sell the model but did tour.