Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Tiny, Perfect Staircases Made by the 'compagnons'

https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...ircases-models

https://collection.cooperhewitt.org/...ions/35350895/

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Spalted Walt" wrote in message

https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...ircases-models

https://collection.cooperhewitt.org/...ions/35350895/

Cool Stuff!

I gained an appreciation for this kind of miniature work after seeing the
work of a member of my woodworker's club, Iulia Chin Lee.
http://www.chinleeminiature.com/index.html

At least from the photos it appears that the stair cases are made the same
way that full size stairs would be made. Iulia also makes all of her
furniture and doll houses as if they were full scale. Mortise and tenon
joinery, raised panels, hand cut dovetails, turnings, marquetry, etc. I
recall that her work was awarded ribbons at shows against full size
furniture!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

"Spalted Walt" wrote in message

https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...ircases-models

https://collection.cooperhewitt.org/...ions/35350895/

Cool Stuff!

I gained an appreciation for this kind of miniature work after seeing the
work of a member of my woodworker's club, Iulia Chin Lee.
http://www.chinleeminiature.com/index.html

At least from the photos it appears that the stair cases are made the same
way that full size stairs would be made. Iulia also makes all of her
furniture and doll houses as if they were full scale. Mortise and tenon
joinery, raised panels, hand cut dovetails, turnings, marquetry, etc. I
recall that her work was awarded ribbons at shows against full size
furniture!

Apparently there's a company batching out repops of at least one of
the 19th century originals.
orig:
https://collection.cooperhewitt.org/objects/18703469/
https://images.collection.cooperhewi...34278e68_x.jpg

$157 repop:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Authentic-M...Statue/4664457
https://www.ebay.com/itm/271608761192
https://www.homegoodscenter.com/products/aut-ar019
https://www.wayfair.com/decor-pillow...e-amd1592.html

same thing at 4X the price ($613):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LF4O8I4/

[OT] Cool tiny tiny PC Tim Watts[_3_] UK diy 154 January 28th 15 02:26 PM
Tiny, tiny metalwork - chip re-soldering Tom Gardner[_2_] Metalworking 20 June 24th 08 04:21 PM
DIY Staircases N. Thornton UK diy 4 January 1st 05 11:25 AM
DIY Staircases N. Thornton UK diy 4 December 30th 04 10:34 PM
building regs for staircases Muse UK diy 60 April 19th 04 08:30 PM