DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Tiny, Perfect Staircases Made by the 'compagnons' (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/608460-tiny-perfect-staircases-made-compagnons.html)

Spalted Walt April 6th 18 03:25 PM

Tiny, Perfect Staircases Made by the 'compagnons'

https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...ircases-models

https://collection.cooperhewitt.org/...ions/35350895/

John Grossbohlin[_4_] April 6th 18 09:52 PM

"Spalted Walt" wrote in message

https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...ircases-models

https://collection.cooperhewitt.org/...ions/35350895/

Cool Stuff!

I gained an appreciation for this kind of miniature work after seeing the
work of a member of my woodworker's club, Iulia Chin Lee.
http://www.chinleeminiature.com/index.html

At least from the photos it appears that the stair cases are made the same
way that full size stairs would be made. Iulia also makes all of her
furniture and doll houses as if they were full scale. Mortise and tenon
joinery, raised panels, hand cut dovetails, turnings, marquetry, etc. I
recall that her work was awarded ribbons at shows against full size
furniture!

Spalted Walt April 7th 18 11:50 PM

"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

"Spalted Walt" wrote in message

https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...ircases-models

https://collection.cooperhewitt.org/...ions/35350895/

Cool Stuff!

I gained an appreciation for this kind of miniature work after seeing the
work of a member of my woodworker's club, Iulia Chin Lee.
http://www.chinleeminiature.com/index.html

At least from the photos it appears that the stair cases are made the same
way that full size stairs would be made. Iulia also makes all of her
furniture and doll houses as if they were full scale. Mortise and tenon
joinery, raised panels, hand cut dovetails, turnings, marquetry, etc. I
recall that her work was awarded ribbons at shows against full size
furniture!

Apparently there's a company batching out repops of at least one of
the 19th century originals.
orig:
https://collection.cooperhewitt.org/objects/18703469/
https://images.collection.cooperhewi...34278e68_x.jpg