Muse

Default building regs for staircases

Hi,

Does anyone know if building regulations requires you to have a hand
rail/banister or wall on both sides of a staircase?
As i have just removed a stud wall separating our stairs from another
room and now it is an open gap (which we would like to keep this way).
The other wall still exists and has a hand rail.
How do I contact someone from buildling regulations to come and
inspect it and does it cost anything?

Thanks,
Muse, UK
Neil Jones

"Muse" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

Does anyone know if building regulations requires you to have a hand
rail/banister or wall on both sides of a staircase?
As i have just removed a stud wall separating our stairs from another
room and now it is an open gap (which we would like to keep this way).
The other wall still exists and has a hand rail.
How do I contact someone from buildling regulations to come and
inspect it and does it cost anything?

Thanks,
Muse, UK

I think staircases are covered by part K...

[looks at odpm website]

have a look at this:-

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/grou...ents/page/odpm
_breg_600500.pdf

(http://tinyurl.com/2p7zl)

Neil

Christian McArdle

As i have just removed a stud wall separating our stairs from another
room and now it is an open gap (which we would like to keep this way).
The other wall still exists and has a hand rail.

This is absolutely not acceptable. It may result in severe liability
judgements if a visitor or child is hurt.

There are two issues here, handrails and guarding. You only need 2 handrails
if the stairs are more than 1 metre wide, which is probably not the case.
However, you need guarding if there is a drop greater than 600mm. This is
clearly needed. Generally the guarding would incorporate a handrail. So, in
summary, you can get away with one handrail, but it has to be on the room
side, not the wall side.

The guarding will consist of a handrail at between 900mm and 1000mm from the
tread. Beneath this rail must be guarded such that no object (sphere) of
100mm could be inserted through it. This is to stop babies and children
crawling through and being trapped or falling to their death. The
construction must be difficult to climb for a young child. This basically
means you may not use horizontal rails. You can use vertical banisters,
rails angled with the stair rising, or a solid wall.

Christian.

Mary Fisher

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

What about those complicated wrought iron swirls which just ASK to be
climbed?

Our children couldn't and our grandchildren can't be kept from climbing on
and sliding down our banister. Not could I when I visited my aunt who lived
in this house (when I ws a child). We panelled the banisters for a short
while but the children couldn't grip with their legs and didn't feel safe so
we removed them. They looked awful anyway and prevented light from reaching
the hall. That was potentially dangerous.

I'm sure the regs are felt to be essential by those who make them but where
do you stop? I've been in houses with kiddie-safe gates at top and bottom of
stairs - when the youngest child was five. I tripped on the frame of the
gate, that was potentially dangerous.

We should all live on one level?

Mary

Christian.

Christian McArdle

What about those complicated wrought iron swirls which just ASK to be
climbed?

That's between you and the BCO. Make sure you put the kettle on before
he/she arrives.

Our children couldn't and our grandchildren can't be kept from
climbing on and sliding down our banister.

Sounds fantastic. When do I get an invite? ;-)

I'm sure the regs are felt to be essential by those who make them but
where do you stop? I've been in houses with kiddie-safe gates at top
and bottom of stairs - when the youngest child was five.

Ouch. I would say 6 months to around the 3 year mark might be more
reasonable, myself, depending very much on the individuals involved, of
course.

Christian.

Mary Fisher

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
What about those complicated wrought iron swirls which just ASK to be
climbed?

That's between you and the BCO. Make sure you put the kettle on before
he/she arrives.

I don't have them (I wish!) No, I see them in lots of public places, museums
especially.

Our children couldn't and our grandchildren can't be kept from
climbing on and sliding down our banister.

Sounds fantastic. When do I get an invite? ;-)

I'm here most of the time. But it's too short to be a thrill when you're
big, I don't do it any more.

I'm sure the regs are felt to be essential by those who make them but
where do you stop? I've been in houses with kiddie-safe gates at top
and bottom of stairs - when the youngest child was five.

Ouch. I would say 6 months to around the 3 year mark might be more
reasonable, myself, depending very much on the individuals involved, of
course.

The trip factor is still there ... :-(

Mary

Christian McArdle

The trip factor is still there ... :-(

You can buy types without a trip bar. Indeed, I regard this as an essential
feature, especially at the top of the stairs.

Christian.

Chris J Dixon

Christian McArdle wrote:

[...]

How is it that so many "designer" homes, often of the type shown
on TV or in the glossies, completely ignore these requirements?
I've lost count of the number of times I have had a dig in the
ribs from SWMBO for muttering *Building Regs" on seeing them.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Christian McArdle

How is it that so many "designer" homes, often of the type shown
on TV or in the glossies, completely ignore these requirements?

I know. They either don't get certificates, remove them after the
certificate or bribe the BCO.

Christian.

Mary Fisher

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
The trip factor is still there ... :-(

You can buy types without a trip bar. Indeed, I regard this as an

essential
feature, especially at the top of the stairs.

So do I. I'd regulate against sales of all-round frames when the bottom one
is proud of the floor.

I'd also legislate agains the same thing but bigger in plastic external door
frames.

Don't vote for me!

Mary

Christian.

Jerry Built

[ snip child safety "stair gates" and tripping on them ]

At the top of my stairs the bannisters return along the
landing, i.e. the stair rail goes up the stairs to the
newel post, then right 90 degrees for about 4", then
right 90 degrees again finishing on a wall. If you look
from the landing, you can see a horizontal row of
bannisters, and through them you can see the ones going
down the stairs. I made a timber panel "door" that ran
back in between the rows of bannisters, in steel "U"
channel between the rows, with a plastic clip made of a
piece of timber and two "fix-it" blocks under the 4" piece
of stair-rail. A small wheel was fixed to the front of
the sliding gate so that it could be opened and closed.
A knob on a length of steel tube and studding went
through a strip of steel screwed to the top of the
sliding "gate", through a piece of square tube screwed
to the bottom of the gate (which slid in the U channel)
and into a captive nut in a small plate screwed to the
floor, holding the gate in the "shut" position. Nothing
to trip on.

At the bottom of the stairs, I welded up a U frame
(with a square bottom, not a rounded "U") of square
section tube to fit a bought steel stair gate. The
stair gate surround fitted into the U exactly, and
was bolted in through the sides, so that the normal
closing mechanism for the gate still workes as
designed. The U had 8" pieces welded on, each side,
which were screwed onto the treads of the stair.

| You might have to b- about with
| the font to see this - the gate
| --| and surround fitted into the
| v |___ middle - the sticky-out bits
| / v were screwed to the treads (v).
| / I considered making it adjustable
--| / to fit all stairs.
v |/
|___

This only makes 4 small holes in the treads, doesn't
damage the wall or newel, and is strongly fixed - also,
nothing to trip over!

J.B.
Toby

How is it that so many "designer" homes, often of the type shown
on TV or in the glossies, completely ignore these requirements?

The do look the business sometimes...
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/mark.orme/stairs.html
I'm sure any 10 year old would happily take up the challenge to jump to the
sofa. Risk management IMO is an essential part of child development.

--
Toby.

The Natural Philosopher

Mary Fisher wrote:

[...]

Actually, single runs of more than a flor are deprecated, if not
disallowed I think.

The ideal staircase is short flights, landings and a change in direction.

Having climmbed the pyramid at Chichen Itza, with about 40 lbs of camera
equipment and only a rope to hold onto, with the pitch and step size
well outside regulations, I can only say I agree with the regs. Second
time I went there She refused to climb em, and, having done so once, I
didn't bother either.

Mary

G&M

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
How is it that so many "designer" homes, often of the type shown
on TV or in the glossies, completely ignore these requirements?
I've lost count of the number of times I have had a dig in the
ribs from SWMBO for muttering *Building Regs" on seeing them.

Too true. We'd love to do something like these, often new-built properties
and therefore definitely seen by a BCO but my BCO even measures the
head-height to a half mm !

Mary Fisher

Mary Fisher wrote:

Having climmbed the pyramid at Chichen Itza, with about 40 lbs of camera
equipment and only a rope to hold onto, with the pitch and step size
well outside regulations,

You mean building regulations were ignored when they built the pyramids?

Horrors!

Mary

Mary Fisher

"Toby" wrote in message
How is it that so many "designer" homes, often of the type shown
on TV or in the glossies, completely ignore these requirements?

The do look the business sometimes...
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/mark.orme/stairs.html

Oh nice :-)

I'm sure any 10 year old would happily take up the challenge to jump to

the
sofa. Risk management IMO is an essential part of child development.

I couldn't agree more.

Mary

--
Toby.

James Salisbury

Mary Fisher wrote:

[...]

Ever been up the Monument in London. One spiral all the way to the top with
2-way traffic!!

asdfasdf

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"Toby" wrote in message
How is it that so many "designer" homes, often of the type shown
on TV or in the glossies, completely ignore these requirements?

The do look the business sometimes...
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/mark.orme/stairs.html

Oh nice :-)

I'm sure any 10 year old would happily take up the challenge to jump to

the
sofa. Risk management IMO is an essential part of child development.

We have guards fitted to all the doors so that young fingers don't get
snipped off and lie twitching on the floor. Our two children have learned to
shut doors with gay abandon, as fast as they like, and with no regard to the
consequences, since they can't actually hurt themselves. Of course, when we
are in the outside world they encounter plenty of doors with no
guards.......
Do safety devices of this sort actually encourage unsafe behaviour?

I couldn't agree more.

Mary

--
Toby.

Mary Fisher

"James Salisbury" wrote in message

Ever been up the Monument in London. One spiral all the way to the top

with
2-way traffic!!

It was closed when I wanted to :-(

But there are lots of ruined castles like that and the stones are often worn
and uneven - many have a deliberate 'trip' step. I've not heard of
casualties.

Mary

Mary Fisher

"asdfasdf" wrote in message

We have guards fitted to all the doors so that young fingers don't get
snipped off and lie twitching on the floor.

Twitching bloody fingers are offensive and every precaution should be taken
to prevent them.

Our two children have learned to
shut doors with gay abandon, as fast as they like, and with no regard to

the
consequences, since they can't actually hurt themselves. Of course, when

we
are in the outside world they encounter plenty of doors with no
guards.......

Do you do a finger count when they come home?

Do safety devices of this sort actually encourage unsafe behaviour?

It could be argued so but I think that such guards on doors don't teach
children to be careful. They only need to bruise fingers once ... experience
is a great teacher and trapped fingers are hardly extreme injuries.

Mary

I couldn't agree more.

Mary

--
Toby.

The Natural Philosopher

Mary Fisher wrote:

Mary Fisher wrote:

Having climmbed the pyramid at Chichen Itza, with about 40 lbs of camera
equipment and only a rope to hold onto, with the pitch and step size
well outside regulations,

You mean building regulations were ignored when they built the pyramids?

I think there regulations were differenet. As I understand it, throwing
people down the steps after cutting their throats or something was part
of the design spec.

Remember, Chichen Itza is in the middle of what amounts to a cocaine
jungle.

Horrors!

Indeed. Meso american culture is noted for its barbarity.

Mary

The Natural Philosopher

Mary Fisher wrote:

"James Salisbury" wrote in message

Ever been up the Monument in London. One spiral all the way to the top

with

2-way traffic!!

It was closed when I wanted to :-(

But there are lots of ruined castles like that and the stones are often worn
and uneven - many have a deliberate 'trip' step. I've not heard of
casualties.

Several people have died at Chichen Itza. (from falling down it) You are
not allowed to go up it any more.

Building regs are actually fairly sane on staircases IMHO. Falling down
stairs is a very frequent cause of severe injury to elederly people.
Especially those living with their children I would imageine

"She just tripped, honest gov, the kids must have left their toys there"

"amd how do you explain teh boot mark in teh small of het back then"

"err.....I left my boot on teh stairs as well. Must have fallen on it,
honest gov"

Mary

Mary Fisher

Mary Fisher wrote:

Mary Fisher wrote:

Having climmbed the pyramid at Chichen Itza, with about 40 lbs of camera
equipment and only a rope to hold onto, with the pitch and step size
well outside regulations,

You mean building regulations were ignored when they built the pyramids?

I think there regulations were differenet. As I understand it, throwing
people down the steps after cutting their throats or something was part
of the design spec.

Remember, Chichen Itza is in the middle of what amounts to a cocaine
jungle.

I didn't see that bit, I imagined Egypt ... I really MUST read more
carefully (remembering teachers' tellings off ... )

Horrors!

Indeed. Meso american culture is noted for its barbarity.

No change there ... :-(

Mary

Mary Fisher

Mary Fisher wrote:

Several people have died at Chichen Itza. (from falling down it) You are
not allowed to go up it any more.

Building regs are actually fairly sane on staircases IMHO. Falling down
stairs is a very frequent cause of severe injury to elederly people.
Especially those living with their children I would imageine

LOL!

"She just tripped, honest gov, the kids must have left their toys there"

"amd how do you explain teh boot mark in teh small of het back then"

"err.....I left my boot on teh stairs as well. Must have fallen on it,
honest gov"

Er - why SHE???

Not all elderly people are female ... are you suggesting something?

Mary

Owain

"Christian McArdle" wrote
| As i have just removed a stud wall separating our stairs from
| another room and now it is an open gap (which we would like
| to keep this way).
| The other wall still exists and has a hand rail.
| There are two issues here, handrails and guarding.

Third issue - protection of the staircase in the event of fire?

Guarding might be met with a glass bannister.

As an aside, I have come across an increasing number of staircases and
walkways which are not (visually) 'solid'. In one building, the walkways are
metal grille and the sides are a mix of tensioned wires and glass. The lift
is also glass. In another (actually a bridge) the sides are of clear glass
with no top rail.

I wonder whether there is any consideration given under Part M (as it is in
E&W) and the Disability Discrimination Act towards vertigo sufferers? I have
a friend who suffers from vertigo and she finds this type of building
extremely difficult to use. In one case she has to have a porter accompany
here from one side of a library to another because of the walkway
construction. These are all recent public buildings so should comply with
any regs going.

Owain

Owain

"Mary Fisher" wrote
| It could be argued so but I think that such guards on doors
| don't teach children to be careful. They only need to bruise
| fingers once ... experience is a great teacher and trapped
| fingers are hardly extreme injuries.

Especially with the modern cardboard doors that have no weight in them. I
wouldn't want my finger squeezed by a heavy old door slamming shut though.

Owain

Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote
| It could be argued so but I think that such guards on doors
| don't teach children to be careful. They only need to bruise
| fingers once ... experience is a great teacher and trapped
| fingers are hardly extreme injuries.

Especially with the modern cardboard doors that have no weight in them. I
wouldn't want my finger squeezed by a heavy old door slamming shut though.

Nor I - that's why one experience works:-)

Are modern doors really made of cardboard?

Mary

Owain

PoP

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 15:06:57 +0100, "Owain"
wrote:

Especially with the modern cardboard doors that have no weight in them. I
wouldn't want my finger squeezed by a heavy old door slamming shut though.

Slightly off topic, but the ones that make me wince are those glass
doors which are hinged at the top and bottom, and leave a small gap
when open which could easily take fingers.

PoP

---
http://www.ukdiy.org.uk
Mary Fisher

wrote:

Especially with the modern cardboard doors that have no weight in them. I
wouldn't want my finger squeezed by a heavy old door slamming shut

though.

Slightly off topic, but the ones that make me wince are those glass
doors which are hinged at the top and bottom, and leave a small gap
when open which could easily take fingers.

PoP

I should think that car doors do far more damage. I had my finger trapped in
an Icelandic taxi and no-one inside could hear me pleading for the door to
be open. I was lucky they didn't drive off. You don't necessarily learn from
such an experience because other people shut the doors on you ...

Mary

---
http://www.ukdiy.org.uk

PoP

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 18:46:07 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

I should think that car doors do far more damage. I had my finger trapped in
an Icelandic taxi and no-one inside could hear me pleading for the door to
be open. I was lucky they didn't drive off. You don't necessarily learn from
such an experience because other people shut the doors on you ...

Some years ago I went out for a pint with my uncle, and he had one of
those old Rover 90's (the sort where you'd take off the top part,
replace it with a cannon and call it a Sherman).

We picked up his apprentice and dropped him off outside the pub. They
were always having a laugh, and on this occasion uncle pulled away as
he started getting out of the car.

Unfortunately on a Rover 90 the rear doors open the opposite way to
normal, so the apprentice was literally spread over the pavement.....

I think uncle bought the drinks immediately afterwards!

PoP

---
http://www.ukdiy.org.uk

G&M

Building regs are actually fairly sane on staircases IMHO.

Yep. Just broke my foot today falling down three steps of my genuine
authentic 19th century wooden stairs.
They are going no matter what the conservation officer thinks !!!!!!

Mary Fisher

wrote:

I should think that car doors do far more damage. I had my finger trapped

in
an Icelandic taxi and no-one inside could hear me pleading for the door

be open. I was lucky they didn't drive off. You don't necessarily learn

from
such an experience because other people shut the doors on you ...

Some years ago I went out for a pint with my uncle, and he had one of
those old Rover 90's (the sort where you'd take off the top part,
replace it with a cannon and call it a Sherman).

Oh - I drove into a mini bus in one of those. The driver of mini bus was
going through red lights. He ended up in hospital, I walked away. I loved
that car but it certainly was like a tank. It wrote off not only the mini
bus but itself and a very large lamp standard.

We picked up his apprentice and dropped him off outside the pub. They
were always having a laugh, and on this occasion uncle pulled away as
he started getting out of the car.

Unfortunately on a Rover 90 the rear doors open the opposite way to
normal, so the apprentice was literally spread over the pavement.....

I think uncle bought the drinks immediately afterwards!

My wedding day was supposed to end in a splendid meal at a very expensive
restaurant. My father had his hand trapped in the top of the door of a hire
car and ended up in A&E.

We all ended up at a Chinese restaurant- not quite the same as what Spouse's
father had intended ...

Mary

PoP

---
http://www.ukdiy.org.uk

Owain

"Mary Fisher" wrote
| Are modern doors really made of cardboard?

Yes :-) (Or something like it)

Two flat outer skins of hardboard separated by a cellular
corrugated-cardboard core. (Cardboard has quite good compression strength
provided it's supported from bending - think of the weight a toilet-roll
core will support on end.)

There was an episode of the Generation Game where the contestants had to
make a door.

Owain

Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote
| Are modern doors really made of cardboard?

Yes :-) (Or something like it)

Two flat outer skins of hardboard separated by a cellular
corrugated-cardboard core.

Oh, that kind of door. Are they still made?

(Cardboard has quite good compression strength
provided it's supported from bending - think of the weight a toilet-roll
core will support on end.)

I know. I use that strength in packing fragile goods.

There was an episode of the Generation Game where the contestants had to
make a door.

er ... Generation Game?

Mary

Owain

PoP

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 21:18:22 +0100, "G&M" wrote:

Yep. Just broke my foot today falling down three steps of my genuine
authentic 19th century wooden stairs.
They are going no matter what the conservation officer thinks !!!!!!

I slipped on the stairs about 4 years ago - straight onto my coxix or
whatever that small knob at the base of the spine is. With some 15
stone going down on it it's a wonder I didn't do myself very serious
damage.

And I was practicing the grand old duke of york at the time - halfway
up/halfway down. No chance of removing those stairs so it's more
careful for me

PoP

---
http://www.ukdiy.org.uk

Mary Fisher

"PoP" wrote in message
On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 21:18:22 +0100, "G&M" wrote:

Yep. Just broke my foot today falling down three steps of my genuine
authentic 19th century wooden stairs.
They are going no matter what the conservation officer thinks !!!!!!

I slipped on the stairs about 4 years ago - straight onto my coxix or
whatever that small knob at the base of the spine is. With some 15
stone going down on it it's a wonder I didn't do myself very serious
damage.

My story is that about the same time Spouse had made me some new C15th
shoes - we were going to a mediaeval Christmas at St Briavel's Castle - and
I tried them on upstairs. I realised that the soles were very slippery and
that they might not grip on stone steps.

So I went down our (carpeted!) stairs, wearing them, to ask him to rough
them up.

I was only (!) 12 stones but the bruises on my extensive thigh were vast and
deep and as colourful as only bruises can be. I couldn't sit straight on the
wooden benches or sleep in any position. It was a memorable Christmas and I
was jolly lucky not to have suffered more permanent damage.

Not the fault of the stairs though - simply stupidity on my part. I'm
extremely careful these days.

Mary

Pete C

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 21:18:22 +0100, "G&M" wrote:

Building regs are actually fairly sane on staircases IMHO.

Yep. Just broke my foot today falling down three steps of my genuine
authentic 19th century wooden stairs.
They are going no matter what the conservation officer thinks !!!!!!

Hi,

Are you really going to rip out a 100+ year old staircase because you
tripped and hurt your foot?

cheers,
Pete.

G&M

"Pete C" wrote in message
On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 21:18:22 +0100, "G&M" wrote:

Building regs are actually fairly sane on staircases IMHO.

Yep. Just broke my foot today falling down three steps of my genuine
authentic 19th century wooden stairs.
They are going no matter what the conservation officer thinks !!!!!!

Hi,

Are you really going to rip out a 100+ year old staircase because you
tripped and hurt your foot?

Yes ! They are lethal anyway as headroom is 5'6", have no proper
bannisters and are steeper than 45 degrees. House is not listed or anything
and even my BCO took an instant dislike to them as well on seeing them.

Owain

"Mary Fisher" wrote
| "PoP" wrote
| "G&M" wrote:
| Yep. Just broke my foot today falling down three steps of my
| genuine authentic 19th century wooden stairs.
| I slipped on the stairs about 4 years ago - straight onto my
| coxix or whatever that small knob at the base of the spine is.
| My story is that about the same time Spouse had made me some new
| C15th shoes - we were going to a mediaeval Christmas at St
| Briavel's Castle - and I tried them on upstairs. I realised
| that the soles were very slippery and that they might not
| grip on stone steps.

Gymnasts' rosin?

| So I went down our (carpeted!) stairs, wearing them, to ask him
| to rough them up.
| I was only (!) 12 stones but the bruises on my extensive

but firm and shapely I'm sure :-)

| thigh were vast and deep and as colourful as only bruises can be.

I once tried riding a spacehopper down the stairs. It had a soft landing. I
didn't.

Owain

Owain

"Mary Fisher" wrote
| "Owain" wrote
| | Are modern doors really made of cardboard?
| Yes :-) (Or something like it)
| Two flat outer skins of hardboard separated by a cellular
| corrugated-cardboard core.
| Oh, that kind of door. Are they still made?

Yes. They seem especially popular in America (doing a google search for
cardboard core door).

| There was an episode of the Generation Game where the
| contestants had to make a door.
| er ... Generation Game?

A popular televisual entertainment of the 1980s, featuring Mr Larry Grayson,
a well-known and rather camp variety entertainer (whose catchphrase was,
appropriately for the topic, "Shut that door!") assisted by Isla St Clair.

Owain