Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Need replacement foam rubber for Palm Sander

I picked up a Ryobi Palm Sander at an auction. It runs well, but there
is supposed to be a foam rubber on the pad where the sandpaper goes.
Little of that pad remains. Most of it is bare metal, with a few globs
of that foam remaining. I have looked at several palm sanders at the
hardware store and all of them, regardless of brand, have a black foam
rubber which is about 1/8" thick.

I'm sure that I am not the only guy who has a sander without the foam
rubber. I have not contacted Ryobi yet, and I have a feeling that this
tool may be obsolete, since it looks kind of old. I also have a feeling
they would only sell that whole pad or base of the tool with the metal
and everything as one piece, if parts were still available.

Anyhow, I wonder if anyone on here has ever seen this foam rubber
material sold in bulk sheets, so someone can just cut it to fit any
sander and glue it on. (I'd probably use contact cement). After removing
all the remains of the old stuff.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 5:35:31 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Since you didn't include a model number, we can't use our considerable search talents
to try and help you out with finding a direct replacement. You haven't said whether or
not you've tried that; maybe you have.

For example, if we knew exactly what we were looking for, we might be able to find
something like this...

https://www.amazon.com/PAD-ASSY-RYOB.../dp/B0011FQ3SG
Posted to rec.woodworking

Try a piece of old style wet suit material.
CP

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 12:38:28 PM UTC-4, MOP CAP wrote:
Try a piece of old style wet suit material.
CP

....which we all have lying around in a closet someplace.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/29/2018 3:54 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 12:38:28 PM UTC-4, MOP CAP wrote:
Try a piece of old style wet suit material.
CP

...which we all have lying around in a closet someplace.

Dense, rubberized foam mouse pad with cloth face on the mouse tracking
side. I'm looking at one on my desk. Foam is ~ 5mm or ΒΌ" thick.

Lots of businesses used to have them imprinted as giveaways for the free
advertising.