DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Need replacement foam rubber for Palm Sander (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/607928-need-replacement-foam-rubber-palm-sander.html)

[email protected] March 29th 18 11:34 AM

Need replacement foam rubber for Palm Sander

I picked up a Ryobi Palm Sander at an auction. It runs well, but there
is supposed to be a foam rubber on the pad where the sandpaper goes.
Little of that pad remains. Most of it is bare metal, with a few globs
of that foam remaining. I have looked at several palm sanders at the
hardware store and all of them, regardless of brand, have a black foam
rubber which is about 1/8" thick.

I'm sure that I am not the only guy who has a sander without the foam
rubber. I have not contacted Ryobi yet, and I have a feeling that this
tool may be obsolete, since it looks kind of old. I also have a feeling
they would only sell that whole pad or base of the tool with the metal
and everything as one piece, if parts were still available.

Anyhow, I wonder if anyone on here has ever seen this foam rubber
material sold in bulk sheets, so someone can just cut it to fit any
sander and glue it on. (I'd probably use contact cement). After removing
all the remains of the old stuff.

DerbyDad03 March 29th 18 12:13 PM

On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 5:35:31 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Since you didn't include a model number, we can't use our considerable search talents
to try and help you out with finding a direct replacement. You haven't said whether or
not you've tried that; maybe you have.

For example, if we knew exactly what we were looking for, we might be able to find
something like this...

https://www.amazon.com/PAD-ASSY-RYOB.../dp/B0011FQ3SG

Leon[_7_] March 29th 18 04:40 PM

On 3/29/2018 5:34 AM, wrote:
[...]

I would contact Ryobi, the replacement may not be as much as you may be
worried about.

MOP CAP[_2_] March 29th 18 05:38 PM

Need replacement foam rubber for Palm Sander

Try a piece of old style wet suit material.
CP

DerbyDad03 March 29th 18 09:54 PM

On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 12:38:28 PM UTC-4, MOP CAP wrote:
Try a piece of old style wet suit material.
CP

....which we all have lying around in a closet someplace.

Unquestionably Confused[_4_] March 29th 18 10:25 PM

On 3/29/2018 3:54 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 12:38:28 PM UTC-4, MOP CAP wrote:
Try a piece of old style wet suit material.
CP

...which we all have lying around in a closet someplace.

Dense, rubberized foam mouse pad with cloth face on the mouse tracking
side. I'm looking at one on my desk. Foam is ~ 5mm or ΒΌ" thick.

Lots of businesses used to have them imprinted as giveaways for the free
advertising.

Electric Comet March 31st 18 07:01 PM

Need replacement foam rubber for Palm Sander

On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 04:34:54 -0600
wrote:

Anyhow, I wonder if anyone on here has ever seen this foam rubber
material sold in bulk sheets, so someone can just cut it to fit any
sander and glue it on. (I'd probably use contact cement). After
removing all the remains of the old stuff.

not sure where you live but in usa there are materials everywhere
much of it free and on craigslist

door mats floor mats floor tiles and on and on and on

there is also that rubber in a can stuff then there is shoe goo and
there is of course duct tape you could layer on