Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Speaking of miter saws,,,

Does any one have an explanation as to why all miter saw miter scales
show (0) Zero where it should say 90 degrees? They all show zero and go
towards 45 degrees, instead of 90 degrees going towards 45 degrees.

If anyone has an explanation it is probably also good for why the bevel
scale is the same way.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/6/2018 8:27 AM, Leon wrote:
Does any one have an explanation as to why all miter saw miter scales
show (0) Zero where it should say 90 degrees?Â* They all show zero and go
towards 45 degrees, instead of 90 degrees going towards 45 degrees.

If anyone has an explanation it is probably also good for why the bevel
scale is the same way.

Just guessing that since it is a cross cut saw, the default is Zero to
avoid confusion. Say you wanted to cut a 15 degree angle on the end of
the board. It could be argued that it's easier to set the blade at 15
degrees either way than 105 or 75 degrees. Yeah, I know, who can't
mentally add/subtract 15 from 90?

No reason for it then, it's just "policy!" LOL! We could be having
this same discussion if it was marked 90 degrees.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/6/18 8:27 AM, Leon wrote:
Does any one have an explanation as to why all miter saw miter scales
show (0) Zero where it should say 90 degrees?Â* They all show zero and go
towards 45 degrees, instead of 90 degrees going towards 45 degrees.

If anyone has an explanation it is probably also good for why the bevel
scale is the same way.

Set a speed-square against the fence and you'll have your answer.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 08:27:45 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Does any one have an explanation as to why all miter saw miter scales
show (0) Zero where it should say 90 degrees? They all show zero and go
towards 45 degrees, instead of 90 degrees going towards 45 degrees.

If anyone has an explanation it is probably also good for why the bevel
scale is the same way.

Got to be the lawyers, right?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/6/2018 8:27 AM, Leon wrote:
Does any one have an explanation as to why all miter saw miter scales
show (0) Zero where it should say 90 degrees?Â* They all show zero and
go towards 45 degrees, instead of 90 degrees going towards 45 degrees.

If anyone has an explanation it is probably also good for why the
bevel scale is the same way.

Just guessing that since it is a cross cut saw, the default is Zero to
avoid confusion.

But zero angle, is no angle. 90 is a square cut across the fence.

Say you wanted to cut a 15 degree angle on the end of
the board.Â* It could be argued that it's easier to set the blade at 15
degrees either way than 105 or 75 degrees.Â* Yeah, I know, who can't
mentally add/subtract 15 from 90?

If you asked some one to cut a 15 degree angle on the end of a board he
would have to place the board perpendicular to the fence. Miter saws
are not designed to cut angles much less than 50~60 degrees.

No reason for it then, it's just "policy!"Â* LOL!Â* We could be having
this same discussion if it was marked 90 degrees.

Probably so.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/6/2018 9:29 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/6/18 8:27 AM, Leon wrote:
Does any one have an explanation as to why all miter saw miter scales
show (0) Zero where it should say 90 degrees?Â* They all show zero and
go towards 45 degrees, instead of 90 degrees going towards 45 degrees.

If anyone has an explanation it is probably also good for why the
bevel scale is the same way.

Set a speed-square against the fence and you'll have your answer.

Where am I looking to see my answer? When I set my speed square base,
the wide edge, against the fence it shows 90 degrees down to the saws
capacity of about 45 degrees. The speed square goes to Zero next to the
fence.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/6/2018 11:03 AM, Markem wrote:
On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 08:27:45 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Does any one have an explanation as to why all miter saw miter scales
show (0) Zero where it should say 90 degrees? They all show zero and go
towards 45 degrees, instead of 90 degrees going towards 45 degrees.

If anyone has an explanation it is probably also good for why the bevel
scale is the same way.

Got to be the lawyers, right?

Probably. Hell even Festool does it. I suppose if the manufacturers
realized this and changed, 90% of the users would be confused. Don't
ask me why they would be confused.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/6/2018 12:36 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/6/2018 8:27 AM, Leon wrote:
Does any one have an explanation as to why all miter saw miter scales
show (0) Zero where it should say 90 degrees?Â* They all show zero and
go towards 45 degrees, instead of 90 degrees going towards 45 degrees.

If anyone has an explanation it is probably also good for why the
bevel scale is the same way.

Just guessing that since it is a cross cut saw, the default is Zero to
avoid confusion.

But zero angle, is no angle.Â* 90 is a square cut across the fence.

Â*Say you wanted to cut a 15 degree angle on the end of
the board.Â* It could be argued that it's easier to set the blade at 15
degrees either way than 105 or 75 degrees.Â* Yeah, I know, who can't
mentally add/subtract 15 from 90?

If you asked some one to cut a 15 degree angle on the end of a board he
would have to place the board perpendicular to the fence.Â* Miter saws
are not designed to cut angles much less than 50~60 degrees.

Make that much less than 45~30 degrees. Now I am getting confused. LOL
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

On 3/6/2018 12:36 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/6/2018 8:27 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

My guess is that whoever designed the first popular miter saw thought it was
a good idea
for the scale to show the angle versus the blade. Then following
manufacturers just copied
the successful model.

This made me curious about how miter gauges are marked. The one that came
with my
table saw has a 0 center like the miter saw. Another (almost a toy) that
came with a model making saw
has 90 degree in the center. Finally the best of all of them, a high end
Incra sled, has dual markings with
both a 0 and a 90 centered scale.
John

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

Does any one have an explanation as to why all miter saw miter scales
show (0) Zero where it should say 90 degrees? They all show zero and
go towards 45 degrees, instead of 90 degrees going towards 45 degrees.

If anyone has an explanation it is probably also good for why the
bevel scale is the same way.

Reference planes. A 90 degree cut is referenced off the fence, while
the 0 degree cut is referenced off the normal track of the blade.

I personally find it easier to work off of a 0 start point in most cases
than it is to work off of a 90. If I want a 22.5 degree angle, I just
set the saw to 22.5 and give up and move over to the RAS that'll
actually hold my setting.

AHEM... If I want a 22.5 degree angle, I just set the saw to 22.5 or
-22.5 and don't have to do the math and figure out if I need 112.5 or
67.5?

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 12:41:35 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 3/6/2018 11:03 AM, Markem wrote:
On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 08:27:45 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Does any one have an explanation as to why all miter saw miter scales
show (0) Zero where it should say 90 degrees? They all show zero and go
towards 45 degrees, instead of 90 degrees going towards 45 degrees.

If anyone has an explanation it is probably also good for why the bevel
scale is the same way.

Got to be the lawyers, right?

Probably. Hell even Festool does it. I suppose if the manufacturers
realized this and changed, 90% of the users would be confused. Don't
ask me why they would be confused.

Few would get confused at 0-degrees or 90-degrees but 44-degrees might
cause a few grumbles. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/6/2018 5:15 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
[...]

I believe you have the answer right there. ;~) But really you want a
67.5 angle.... If the saw was marked correctly. But as you said, it
makes bringing the measurements you took to the saw, easier.

To tell you the truth I never thought about this much until Ron Paulk
mentioned how all miter saws were incorrectly marked.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/6/18 12:39 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/6/2018 9:29 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/6/18 8:27 AM, Leon wrote:
Does any one have an explanation as to why all miter saw miter scales
show (0) Zero where it should say 90 degrees?Â* They all show zero and
go towards 45 degrees, instead of 90 degrees going towards 45 degrees.

If anyone has an explanation it is probably also good for why the
bevel scale is the same way.

Set a speed-square against the fence and you'll have your answer.

Where am I looking to see my answer?Â* When I set my speed square base,
the wide edge, against the fence it shows 90 degrees down to the saws
capacity of about 45 degrees.Â* The speed square goes to Zero next to the
fence.

Yep, you're right. I looked at the wrong side.
I'm curious what the Miterfast thingie that came with your Kapex reads
when placed against the fence. Or does it not have any readings at all?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/6/2018 12:36 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/6/2018 8:27 AM, Leon wrote:
Does any one have an explanation as to why all miter saw miter scales
show (0) Zero where it should say 90 degrees?Â* They all show zero and
go towards 45 degrees, instead of 90 degrees going towards 45 degrees.

If anyone has an explanation it is probably also good for why the
bevel scale is the same way.

Just guessing that since it is a cross cut saw, the default is Zero to
avoid confusion.

But zero angle, is no angle.Â* 90 is a square cut across the fence.

Agreed but. . .

Â*Say you wanted to cut a 15 degree angle on the end of
the board.Â* It could be argued that it's easier to set the blade at 15
degrees either way than 105 or 75 degrees.Â* Yeah, I know, who can't
mentally add/subtract 15 from 90?

If you asked some one to cut a 15 degree angle on the end of a board he
would have to place the board perpendicular to the fence.Â* Miter saws
are not designed to cut angles much less than 50~60 degrees.

I can cut a 15 degree angle all day on my miter saw with the internal
angle being on the side snugged up to the fence. Then, when I flip the
board over, the exterior angle is 75 degrees.

It's all in the perspective. That, and whatever was going through the
mind of the prick that put that Zero at 90 degrees!

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/6/18 12:39 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/6/2018 9:29 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/6/18 8:27 AM, Leon wrote:
Does any one have an explanation as to why all miter saw miter scales
show (0) Zero where it should say 90 degrees?Â* They all show zero and
go towards 45 degrees, instead of 90 degrees going towards 45 degrees.

If anyone has an explanation it is probably also good for why the
bevel scale is the same way.

Set a speed-square against the fence and you'll have your answer.

Where am I looking to see my answer?Â* When I set my speed square base,
the wide edge, against the fence it shows 90 degrees down to the saws
capacity of about 45 degrees.Â* The speed square goes to Zero next to the
fence.

Yep, you're right. I looked at the wrong side.
I'm curious what the Miterfast thingie that came with your Kapex reads
when placed against the fence. Or does it not have any readings at all?

IIRC The miter thing has no markings, just a manual way to set the saw up
for half the measured angle.

How do SawStop Table Saws Compare as Saws? woodworker88 Woodworking 8 August 11th 05 04:42 AM
of chain saws v bow saws Paul Mc Cann UK diy 3 October 27th 04 09:12 AM
Mitre saws, table saws, or flip saw? Tim Nicholson UK diy 6 May 9th 04 11:29 AM
MITER SAWS WARRENRN1 Woodworking 1 January 23rd 04 11:27 PM
Looking for advice on sliding compound miter saws Joshua Woodworking 16 November 21st 03 12:15 AM